Subject: Re: [dita] proposal on "vocabulary" terminology

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Michael Priestley wrote:

> I'm confused. How is "document type" misleading?

I didn't mean to claim that it "is" confusing, and can't prove that it
would be troublesome to a significant number of users.  I suspect
it's not the best label to help users think clearly about the
role/function of the shell/driver files.

> When we assemble modules using a shell file, it is literally into a
> document type. My main reservation was that I was told "document type" was
> a DTDism, but it looks like it isn't.

Formally, "document type" may not be a DTDism, but for many users,
I think, "document type" is closely associated with both
document type declaration and document type definition, both of
which relate to a grammar.  Grammar in SGML and XML is a lot
more about syntax than about lexical semantics.

In the problem at hand (optimally clear terminology for
"DTD shell file" and "schema shell file" as driver files to
construct DTDs/schemas, I thought "document type" was a
less ideal label.  I don't plan to defend or explain
these oppositions (partly because I imperfectly understand
the DITA problem), but I feel it's a matter, relatively
speaking, of:

a) (syntactic) form vs. function
b) concreteness vs. abstractness
c) meta vs even-more-meta

Of these, I feel the force of "a)" most.  I would not claim that
the XHTML spec is "wrong" in its choice of terms, but perhaps
infelicitous.  The key notion in XHTML modularization, IMO, is
the ability to combine declarations for document objects in
new ways so that the new instance documents have all the cool
objects we want.  Conceived in this way, the mechanism is
syntactic but the focus is upon the document objects that
are allowed/disallowed under the modularization goals.  If
we use documents that have type to generate other
formalisms that define new document type, it may not be
incorrect to reference the former as document types, but
I think we would want a term which more clearly describes the
*function* of these files in the modularization architecture
and process.

Enough from me; I defer to the rest of you.

-robin