Subject: RE: [dita] Scoping DITA 1.0 [was: OASIS DITA TC: 07 December 2004 meeting reminder]

I like Erik Hixson's idea of using a white paper to address the use of the specialization mechanism outside of DITA.  I agree with you, Michael, that this shouldn't be part of the spec -- especially for 1.0.

Seraphim

Seraphim Larsen                  ICG Technical Publications
Technical Writer                          Intel Corporation
(480) 552-6504                                 Chandler, AZ

The content of this message is my personal opinion only.
Although I am an employee of Intel, the statements I make
here in no way represent Intel's position on the issue, nor
am I authorized to speak on behalf of Intel on this matter.

From: Michael Priestley [mailto:mpriestl@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 10:54 AM
To: Paul Grosso
Cc: DITA TC list

During the call I advocated adding a topic to the spec that laid out the costs/benefits for creating new base classes, and potentially covering recommendations for ways to minimize breakage of the architecture when/if breakage becomes inevitable (for example, if new metadata requirements are absolutely required, and otherprops is not acceptable as a workaround).

But I also feel a bit twitchy about having a section of the specification that effectively introduces a continuum of compliance. I think we do need to talk about these issues, and certainly address them post-1.0, but maybe for 1.0 itself the discussion should take place in an external best practices document, where we are also planning to discuss relationships to other standards, etc.

Thoughts?

Michael Priestley
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
Dept PRG IBM Canada  phone: 416-915-8262
Toronto Information Development

"Paul Grosso" <pgrosso@arbortext.com>

12/07/2004 12:42 PM

"DITA TC list " <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
[dita] Scoping DITA 1.0 [was: OASIS DITA TC: 07 December 2004 meeting reminder]

I still prefer the minimalist approach to our 1.0 deliverable. When we
were discussing and voting on our charter, I understood that our
first deliverable--DITA 1.0--was pretty much going to be a "rubber
stamping" of the existing IBM standard and current practice with DITA.
We have a second deliverable with which to get more creative.

As much as I agree it would be worthwhile to expand the applicability
of DITA techniques beyond the scope of DITA 1.0, I don't feel that we
should do that in the1.0 timeframe. I have been on too many standards
committees that take so long to get out their first release that they
miss the optimal window of opportunity; I'd like to avoid that with DITA.

Before we get out our first deliverable, I would not spend time trying to
explain how to use specialization outside of the DITA tag set.  And I
would also leave to post-1.0 the enhancements to <tm> and <keyword>
below.

All that said, if the rest of those in the TC don't share my opinion, I'll bow
to the majority on this. The last thing I want to do is add to the time to our
first deliverable by spending another telcon on this issue.

paul