Subject: Re: [dita] When does DITA Document Type Not Meet Requirements?

Okay, taking this back to the list - apologies for it going off-line to begin with (slip of the reply click).

In the context of suggesting how to create a new kind of list that allowed groups of items, I wrote:
>> You can always specialize off of fig and ph, like I said. It's what we did
>> with syntaxdiagram. Maybe it's not semantically pure, but it works.

And Eliot replied:
>But semantics is everything. Specializing fig to create a new kind of
>list would just be wrong--it would confuse anyone who came to it and
>could quite possibly create unexpected results if the data was processed
>in terms of the base types.

Whereas creating an entirely new base class for the existing DITA tag set won't be confusing? If you're seriously concerned about fig being the base, use nested <ph> - that's the generic building block for just about anything.

>I cannot accept this approach as an acceptable solution and would never
>suggest it to a client.

So you'd rather break 100 semantic connections than create one new one? Would using plain nested ph's address your concern? Admittedly nested phrases are generic and without semantic meaning - but that's what specialization adds, after all.

Ultimately, longer term, we can probably come up with some generic ancestors for each level of content - like <block> as the ancestor for all tables, lists, paragraphs, and figures. But pragmatically, you can get what you want today with a specialization off of <ph> and an override. That's certainly both more cost-effective and more standards-friendly than duplicating the entire set of all existing markup every time you lack a more specific ancestor for that one new element. And when the generic <list> or <block> ancestor materializes, you can repoint your class attributes without affecting any document instances or customized processing you created in the meantime.

Re:
>> Re the untitled containers within a topic: why didn't section work for
>> you?
>
>Because I need containers that are peers to topicbody, not within
>topicbody.

You'll have to expand the example for me to comment on this.

Michael Priestley
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com

"W. Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@innodata-isogen.com>

12/07/2004 05:44 PM

Michael Priestley/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
cc
Subject
Re: [dita] When does DITA Document Type Not Meet Requirements?

Michael Priestley wrote:
> You can always specialize off of fig and ph, like I said. It's what we did
> with syntaxdiagram. Maybe it's not semantically pure, but it works.

But semantics is everything. Specializing fig to create a new kind of
list would just be wrong--it would confuse anyone who came to it and
could quite possibly create unexpected results if the data was processed
in terms of the base types.

I cannot accept this approach as an acceptable solution and would never
suggest it to a client.

> Re the untitled containers within a topic: why didn't section work for
> you?

Because I need containers that are peers to topicbody, not within
topicbody.

> Another side note: are you okay with this discussion happening on the
> side? I inadvertantly hit reply to you individually on my first reply.

I'd rather it happened on this list so others can learn and participate.

W. Eliot Kimber
Professional Services
Innodata Isogen
9390 Research Blvd, #410