Subject: Re: [dita] My comments about DITA applicability torequirements and a separate standard for specialization

"W. Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@innodata-isogen.com> wrote on 12/08/2004 02:40:46 PM:

> But the current topic model requires body, even though a topic without a
> body but with required subtopics is arguably perfectly meaningful (even
> though it might not be good writing practice).
>
> This is an example where current DITA is too restrictive, probably
> reflecting a business rule decision that IBM made (subtopics shall
> always be introduced) but that is inappropriate, in a general standard,
> to impose on everyone.]

FWIW, optional body is first on the list of suggested fixes documented at
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200411/msg00023.html

1. Make the body element optional in base topic as well as for task, concept, and reference

The original intent was not so much a business rule as a case of nostalgia for absolutes ("doesn't every DTD have a body?"). Designing an archtetype for greatest generality means putting aside most of the conventional wisdom about the concrete instances we've worked with. We'll make a lot more headway for DITA 2.0.

Regards,
--
Don Day <dond@us.ibm.com>
Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee