Subject: Re: [dita] Some comments on the latest DITA draft

Hi Paul,

<snip>For schema structural type files we have
typename_mod.xsd et al., whereas for
schema domain type files, we have
typename-domain.xsd and typename-domain_group.xsd
and for override files, we have
customization-purpose.* </snip>

The typename-domain_group.xsd, for the schema side of things,
merely completes the specialization architecture for domain
elements (specialization of domain elements - which no one has a
requirement for this feature so far - maybe a DITA 2.0 issue) . It's not
really
mandatory for DITA 1.0 and I will tell Michael to remove from the spec.
I'll remove it from the schemas.

<snip>
Under Modularization in Schemas, we talk about
"a name consisting of the root structural element
name and_domains.xsd."  First, note the missing
space before the _; second, notice it's an
underscore, not a hyphen; third, notice we've
got "domains" (plural).  I think we've managed
to confuse ourselves with our naming conventions. </snip>

The difference between -domain.xsd and _domains.xsd.
The former defines the elements for that particular
domain.  The latter redefines the groups to include the elements
from the domain as an equivalent to the original element.  Basically,
it's it equivalent to XML Schema subsitutionGroup without inheritance.

_grp.xsd is equivalent to .ent in the DTDs, but entities don't exist in
the schema world.

The reason I chose to go with typename_*.xsd is that some of XML IDE
are context enhance based on file extensions. Most associate .mod with
DTDs and .grp is meaningless to IDEs.

Does anyone have a suggestion for another naming convention for _grp.xsd
and/or
_domains.xsd that would eliminate the confusion between the purpose of
-domain.xsd
and _domains.xsd?

Kind regards,
Eric
Eric A. Sirois
Staff Software Developer
DB2 Universal Database - DBA XML Tools Development
IBM Canada Ltd. - Toronto Software Lab
Email: esirois@ca.ibm.com
Phone:(905) 413-2841
Blue Pages (Internal)

"Transparency and accessibility requirements dictate that public
information and government
transactions avoid depending on technologies that imply or impose a
specific product or
platform on businesses or citizens" - EU on XML-based office document
formats.