Subject: Re: [dita] hyphens and file names

I'm new to the TC, so I was hesitant to reply until this topic took on a life of its own - but in my own practice, I've started standardizing on javaCamelCase for just about everything - filenames, variable names, function names element names, attribute names - in every programming language or filesystem.

If it works in Java - why not everywhere?

The rationale:

  • if there's no word boundary, it's all lowercase - which is the easiest to type (if you can actually type)
  • if there is a word boundary, you just have to hit the shift key - not hunt for the underscore/hyphen key - and hit the shift key for the underscore

Eric Sirois wrote:
Hello fellow TC members,

It looks like we never got a final resolution on naming convention for the
DTDs and Schemas file names; hyphens, underscores or both.
Thanks Bruce for reminding me.

Currently, in the Committee Draft the DTDs and Schemas use underscores in
the file name for files related to the topic types.
  DTD
    meta_xml.mod
    tbl_xml.mod
  XSD
    meta_xml.xsd
    topic_mod.xsd
    task_mod.xsd
    etc.

and hyphens for files related to domain specialization
  DTD
   ui-domain.ent
   ui-domain.mod
   etc.

  XSD
   ui-domain.xsd
   etc.

Changes the file names will not affect the overall architecture.
The possible changes required are minimal...
   -update the DITA catalog
   -document type shells (~4 files)
   -topic module
   -rename files

As the resolution to the naming convention we have a few options.
   1) use hyphens for all files..no underscores
   2) leave as is...both hyphens and underscores
   3) use underscores for all files..no hyphens

Bruce and Debbie suggested hyphens for all files (1)...right?

Please send in your suggestions/opinions so the appropriate changes can be
made to the DTDs and Schemas before the final review.

Kind regards,
Eric

Eric A. Sirois
Staff Software Developer
DB2 Universal Database - DBA XML Tools Development
IBM Canada Ltd. - Toronto Software Lab
Email: esirois@ca.ibm.com
Phone:(905) 413-2841
Blue Pages (Internal)

"Transparency and accessibility requirements dictate that public
information and government
transactions avoid depending on technologies that imply or impose a
specific product or
platform on businesses or citizens" - EU on XML-based office document
formats.

             Eric
             Sirois/Toronto/IB
             M@IBMCA                                                    To
                                       Deborah Aleyne Lapeyre
             02/01/2005 12:08          <dalapeyre@mulberrytech.com>
                                       dita@lists.oasis-open.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [dita] hyphens and file names

Since the consensus seems to be leaning to hyphens rather then underscores.

Does anyone have any comments regarding

typename-domains.xsd
domainname-domain.xsd

In the DTDs, this usually happens in the shell file.  In the DTDs each
entity redefinition is a one liner.

In the schema world, this involves redefine the group (the group plus
additional groups).
I can merge the topicname-domains.xsd definitions the schema shell...this
means adding the group redefinition in every shell.
Not a big deal..but *may mean* some changes to the schema section.  I would
like to get this square away as quickly as possible.

If we agree to merge typename-domains.xsd into the shell, I can post
updates, if any, to the schema section to the list for approval
within the next couple of days.

Kind regards,
Eric
Eric A. Sirois
Staff Software Developer
DB2 Universal Database - DBA XML Tools Development
IBM Canada Ltd. - Toronto Software Lab
Email: esirois@ca.ibm.com
Phone:(905) 413-2841
Blue Pages (Internal)

"Transparency and accessibility requirements dictate that public
information and government
transactions avoid depending on technologies that imply or impose a
specific product or
platform on businesses or citizens" - EU on XML-based office document
formats.

             Deborah Aleyne
             Lapeyre
             <dalapeyre@mulber                                          To
             rytech.com>               <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
                                                                        cc
             02/01/2005 10:41          DITA TC list
             AM                        <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [dita] hyphens and file names

I too have been converted to hyphens and camelCase only.

I miss underscores, but they just have too many negatives/

--da
Deborah Aleyne Lapeyre               mailto:dalapeyre@mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9633
   Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in XML and SGML