Subject: RE: [dita] Keywords in DITA (example)

1. Yes, just so. We have wider and wider scopes of application for the markup language.

Syntax diagrams;
language that appears in programs;
language, controls, and other screen phenomena that appear in user interfaces;
and conceptual language that governs how our audiences think about the work that they perform.

2. We have many ways of marking up identifiers and other expressions.
There are significant differences in purpose among them,
and in some places, those purposes interact. So we need to discuss those different purposes explicitly
and define and organize the markup in a way that reflects those different purposes.

If we do not explicitly design around the purposes, we instead reason about the effect that we can achieve with each element.
The clashes among various combinations of effects are leading to the clashes about how to use the markup,
and what to allow and disallow.

3. As a result of the examination done in item 2, we would have specific elements,
as we do now, plus a design that explains why those elements cover our needs,
and that systematizes any future structural specializations and any proposals for similar new elements.

Best wishes,

Bruce
-----Original Message-----
From: Dana Spradley [mailto:dana.spradley@oracle.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 5:52 PM
To: Esrig, Bruce (Bruce)
Cc: Don Day; Paul Prescod; dita@lists.oasis-open.org; JoAnn Hackos

Hi Bruce--

Okay, I think I understand a little better now.

What you are basically asking for is that the scope of the <kwd> element be expanded beyond <syntaxdiagram> elements, so that it can be used to trigger different formatting of programming keywords on output - and so that writers aren't tempted to use <keyword> just to mark something as a programming keyword.

Or am I still missing something?

--Dana

Esrig, Bruce (Bruce) wrote:
Hi Dana,

The distinctions were based on a use case argument that I might not have made explicit.

Content-related functions to be supported:
 - make an identifier stand out (userinput)
 - indicate that an identifier has an associated definition (term)
 - indicate that an identifier has a pre-determined, fixed interpretation (wintitle)

Description-related functions to be supported:
 - provide good search targets that permit a topic to be found (keyword)
 - provide good index entries that permit a topic to be found (indexterm)

Applications:
 - general descriptive text about products, services, and processes
 - documentation of concept-rich information such as software

In the example, in the concept "Snow shovel", the descriptive keyword "tool"
does not appear in the content but would make a good search target.
Reversing the situation: the content term "scoop" does appear
in the content but would not make a good search target. Even in documenting a programming language or a software application,
there is a need for markup for content keywords such as "then" or "OK"
which are usually not the target of a search or an index lookup.
If these get swept up and made into descriptive keywords
I don' t understand the <term> element.  Can that now be used? Is
there processing avialable?

JoAnn

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President