Subject: RE: [dita] Proposed revision for the keyword definition (was Keywords in DITA)

I would favor treating <keyword> as a virtual element in the body. Usually, one of its specializations would be used. <keyword> is only used directly in the body as an interim measure when an appropriate specialization has not yet been defined.

Bruce Esrig

================

The <keyword> element and its specializations are used to mark a word or phrase with special significance in a particular domain.

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Prescod [mailto:paul.prescod@blastradius.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 5:53 AM
To: Michael Priestley
Cc: dita@lists.oasis-open.org

You may be able to convince me but you haven't yet Michael. I think that your claims that "<keyword> has almost no semantics" and "<keyword> could be used for specialized processing" are somewhat at odds. We write standards so that we can exchange documents and get reliable behaviour. If you start linking unspecialized keywords to topics in your processing then when I send you my documents your process will do that to my documents as well. So we should either all decide that the <keyword> element implies a reference to a similarly-named topic or we should all decide it doesn't. If you want your keywords to have special behaviour then you should specialize.

Sound-bite: "Special processing" should always go along with "specialization". (as an aside, if specialization is too heavy-weight for some special processing then maybe we need ways of making it lighterweight. I've had some ideas about how to use outputclass as a lightweight way of specializing without changing DTDs).

As far as reuse, why not use <ph>?

Nevertheless, I could agree to the text below if you are not convinced by my argument.