Subject: Fw: Comments on OASIS DITA committee draft 1.0

Copying the comments into the email for those who don't have Word - attachment included for those who do. Responses in the email only, marked with >>:

Comments on the Language Specification
Conditional Content
Filtering and flagging. We would like the OASIS DITA Technical Committee, and the standard itself, to encourage developers of DITA-compliant authoring tools to support the otherprops attribute in ways that make it easy for writers and editors to manipulate multiple conditions as if they were separate attributes, and that hide the syntactic complexity of shoehorning multiple condition/value pairs into a single attribute. We think this is necessary if writers and editors are to use the otherprops method effectively and productively.
>>Several authoring tool vendors have representatives on the DITA TC, so the feedback is going to the right place. I don't believe the specification can afford to recommend a particular solution in the authoring tool, however. All the spec can do is speak to the validity of the source, and recommended processing and output.

Looking beyond 1.0, is there any reasonable way of adding selection attributes to the spec—either attributes with a standard definition (e.g. businesspartner), or generic selection attributes to be used as each implementer sees fit (e.g. select08)?
>>It is definitely on the list for consideration. Several people have raised this as a high requirement.

Variables. We want to define an entity in a map, and have the definition be inherited by all the topics referenced in the map. This would enable us to declare entities at the book level and have those declarations apply to all the content units in the book, which we had done easily in FrameMaker.
We’re aware of the issues that Don Day raised in dita-users # 231 regarding using entities. However, we’re seeking a method that’s more straightforward than conref and that is supported more robustly in tools. How do you think this can be achieved?
>>Use of entities is discouraged in DITA, so I'm not sure how much help the spec can be in this regard. I will note that conref is directly supported by several authoring tools these days, so you may want to revisit your decision not to use it.

Maps
Path support. Is it possible to specify a directory path to a topic in a map? We cannot discern this from the draft specification.
We see that the specification does say that “[Topicref’s] href attribute identifies the destination of the cross-reference link using conventional URL syntax....”  And standard URL syntax seems to support directory paths using the file protocol, allowing one to specify any file on a local computer system (see http://www.w3.org/Addressing/URL/uri-spec.html and http://www.w3.org/Addressing/URL/4_1_File.html).
We see that Chris Wong noted in dita-users #192 that “The href attribute is by convention a URL or some filesystem path.”
Can you clarify this in the specification? If directory paths are supported in href, can the spec state that explicitly? If they aren’t supported in href, can that be added to the spec?
>>The spec requires that it be a valid URI, but it's up to the processor to decide what kinds of values to support. I'd generally think that absolute paths would be something to avoid, as in HTML - relative URIs are typically more portable. But again, I think all the spec can say here is what it currently does: must be a URI.

Database support. In topicref’s href attribute, we need to specify a topic that resides in an XML database.
>>Seems reasonable, as long as it's done with URI syntax. Again, more specific syntax will depend on your implementation, which I don't believe the spec can speak to in more detail than it already has.

Presentation
Content models. In Ch. 1, most elements don’t show a content model—that is, for each element, which elements can contain it, and which elements it can contain. We think that these models would make it easier to evaluate and use the specification. We know that earlier drafts of the DITA Language Reference included this information (e.g., ditaref-book.chm) and suggest adding them to subsequent iterations of the specification.
>>Fixed in new version.

Examples.  We think that adding examples to illustrate the use of all attributes—not just the most commonly used ones—would make it easier to understand the specification.
>>Adding more examples will definitely be a priority for future versions.

Alphabetical order. Ch. 1 generally presents elements in alphabetical order, but some elements are out of order. For example, topicref is followed by topichead, which is followed by topicgroup.
>>New version orders elements by module and category.

Comments on the Architectural Specification
Correction. On page 11, we noted that the example element at the left margin is missing a closing bracket (>).
>>Good catch - will fix.

Michael Priestley
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com

-

<Mark_Nazimova@ibi.com>

03/15/2005 04:13 PM

Don Day/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
cc
<Ghada_Captan@ibi.com>, <Frances_Gambino@iwaysoftware.com>
Subject
Comments on OASIS DITA committee draft 1.0

Dear Don,

I've attached comments on the OASIS DITA Specification committee draft 1.0, from the Information Builders Documentation Services team.

If you have problems accessing the attached Word file, please let me know.

With regards,
Mark Nazimova
Information Architect
(917) 339-6736