Subject: [Fwd: [dita-users] DTD practices for DITA]

I posted this on dita-users but did not get a response. Any opinions from the TC? My concern here is that the prescribed specialization procedure for DTDs is unnecessarily limiting. On the "specialization or attributes?" thread, Barbara Douma of Compuware had remarks that seems related:
About 8 years ago we moved to a topic-based SGML CMS in which we had very heavily specialized topics, including an Introduction, Concept, Main process, Process, Task-group, Task, and innumerable reference topic types. The end result was inflexible. This was also due to the structuring DTDs, which only allowed certain topic types in certain contexts.
Chris