Subject: Migration of user community to OASIS lists

With the establishment of DITA 1.0 as an OASIS standard, the administration
at OASIS will prepare new mailing lists for DITA.  Typically, the dita-dev
domain would serve to host the same kind of activity as what we have
presently in the Yahoo! dita-users list.  We need to think about how to
migrate our current Yahoo list members over to the chosen OASIS list.

Advantages of the OASIS list:
* permanence of the material
* generally better server reliability
* isolation from spam.  Some users say they will not use Yahoo! because of
that tool's vulnerability to generating spam lists.
* shepherding of discussions within the body that also hosts the Standard
* close relationship with related materials
* follows the same example as other OASIS standards and their communities

Issues with moving the list:
* breaking all the existing URLs to the Yahoo! dita-users community.
Mitigation: This is a bona fide headache.  We will leave a posting about
the relocation of the activity, but all those published Yahoo! URLs will
take time to change over.
* some won't know to make the change. Many of the subscribers there are
"read-only" subscribers--they elect not to receive email of any sort.
Mitigation: Leave a posting about the relocation of the activity.
* loss of some collaborative facilities, particularly posting documents and
files.  Mitigation: we can still use the Yahoo list's files facility for
now; move to OASIS facilities once they become available.
* loss of profiles for users. Mitigation: is this really a problem?
Personally, the administration takes a lot of my time--I can let this go.
* other?

Let's have some discussion about pros and cons (and mitigation ideas), and
then look at when to start preparing the list users for a move.

Regards,
--
Don Day <dond@us.ibm.com>
Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee