Subject: RE: [dita] DITA 1.1 issue 20: Extensible metadata attributes

One of the issues is how to preserve the attribute values during generalization, and potentially during respecialization as well. For new elements, you can generalize and respecialize by preserving ancestry in the class attribute.  Another issue is how to compare allowed metadata during conref: for example, to ensure that you are not pulling content with metadata into a topic where that metadata is invalid.

A possible solution could be to store the metadata attribute values in the otherprops attribute during generalization, and track which metadata attributes are in use by adding the names of the attributes to the list of used domains (in the domains attribute).

For example:

original:
<topic id="blat" domains="(topic ui-d) a(otherprops proglang)">
</topic>

generalized (with roundtripping intent):
<topic id="blat" domains="(topic ui-d) a(otherprops proglang)">
</topic>

Michael Priestley
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com

"Paul Grosso" <pgrosso@arbortext.com>

06/01/2005 06:24 PM

"DITA TC list" <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
RE: [dita] DITA 1.1 issue 20: Extensible metadata attributes

I haven't thought a lot about this yet, but I was having
a discussion with some of our developers today who also
felt the need for extensible metadata attributes, and
they felt the right way to do it was to have a separate
namespace for metadata attributes.

Then the DITA schema could allow any attribute in
that namespace on any element, so it would be easy
to add "profiling" attributes or other metadata.

paul