Subject: MEETING MINUTES -- 14 June 2005 -- DITA TECHNICAL COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES -- 14 June 2005 -- DITA TECHNICAL COMMITTEE
*** Please see Action Items and Decision Summary at the end ***

** Agenda **
------------
    1. Roll call

    2. Review/approve minutes from our last meeting, 17 May:
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200505/msg00030.html

    3. Review and assess the public list comments on 1.1
       requirements (+=TC member):
        -
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-comment/200505/msg00000.html
        -
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-comment/200505/msg00001.html
        -
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-comment/200505/msg00002.html
(new reqs)
        -
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-comment/200505/msg00003.html
        -
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-comment/200505/msg00004.html
        -
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-comment/200505/msg00005.html +
        -
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-comment/200505/msg00006.html +
        -
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-comment/200506/msg00000.html
        -
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-comment/200506/msg00001.html
        -
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-comment/200506/msg00002.html +

    4. Assign leads/owners for researched proposals.

    5. Formalize an action on Robert's DTD corrections list:
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200505/msg00021.html
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200505/msg00039.html

    6. OASIS invitation to participate on OASIS Adoption Forum
       Program Committee

    7. Certification for tool vendors who want to support DITA:
       discuss whether and how to do this (ie, for CM, translation,
       editors, tools in general)

    8.  AOB

** Minutes **
-------------
    1. Roll call
        - We have quorum

    2. Review/approve minutes from our last meeting, 17 May:
        - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200505/msg00030.html
        - Minutes approved by acclamation.

[...]

        - How to prioritize the items?
            - Don/JoAnn -- Let's do the easiest ones first
              ("low-hanging fruit")
            - Michael -- On the other hand, a case can be made for
              doing the hardest ones first, and working in the other
              ones on the side.
            - Seraphim -- Break it down into "must haves" and
              "nice-to-haves"

        - Proposal for next 2 weeks --
            - Submit request for TC members to go back to their
              organizations and then submit prioritizations through
              the comments form (max of 5) (due by 6/21)
            - Before meeting, tally the inputs and add to the tally
              already in the document -- and re-sort the document
            - At meeting on 6/21 -- We'll have a new set of
              prioritizations.  We still won't know exactly what's
              in 1.1, and what will wait till after 1.1.  Basically
              we'll need to continue with today's agenda
            - How do we split the list (1.1 vs. post-1.1)?
            - Another approach -- Let's set a target date for
              release; and whatever gets finished by then, gets
              finished.  Everything else, gets rolled into 1.2 or
              later.
                    - Paul Grosso -- You always have a target
                      deadline, and as you approach you evaluate
                      whether you need to flex a bit to roll in some
                      important features.
                    - Seraphim -- Break it down to "must have" and
                      "nice-to-have".   This will help us determine
                      schedule -- let's base schedule on the "must
                      haves".  Also -- Items on which many others
                      depend, should be must-haves.
                    - Chris Wong -- Perhaps some items can be
                      developed outside the TC, and when they're
                      more developed we can roll them into the spec.
                    - Don -- Need to identify dependencies.
                    - Proposal -- Complete the ranking, identify
                      must-haves, determine target date based on
                      that, and schedule everything else based on
                      that.
                    - Proposal -- Let's still continue with
                      assignments NOW.
            - JoAnn -- As a non-technical person, a use-case would
              be helpful to understand "what we're doing and why
              we're doing it" (in regard to each issue proposal to
              be rolled into 1.1).
            - Bruce Esrig -- How to address each proposal -- Bruce
              has a list of questions/considerations to use to
              assess each item on the list for the 1.1 spec.
                - Scope --
                    - Michael broke it down into "Major" vs.
                      "Trivial", where "Trivial" means "could be
                      done in less than a day" -- often minor bug
                      fixes.  For "Trivial" items, we already see
                      clearly what needs to be done.  "Major" means
                      we need to figure out how to do it.
                    - Don -- Let's call it "Mechanical" vs.
                      "Design".
                - Use Case -- what and why
                - Technical requirement -- ???
                - Costs and benefits --
                    - What is the time and effort required, both for
                      the TC and for the assigned implementer.
                    - What is the benefit we expect to get?  How
                      many people would probably make use of it?
                      (everyone/many/few)
                    - How much of a positive impact would that make
                      for those users?  (significant/minor)
            - Don -- Don will find a place to track all this, and
              allow people to sign up / volunteer.

    4. Assign leads/owners for researched proposals.
            - 45 - Chris Wong
            - Other issues -- let's take volunteers on the TC List

    5. Formalize an action on Robert's DTD corrections list:
        - Didn't get to this.

    6. OASIS invitation to participate on OASIS Adoption Forum
       Program Committee
        - Didn't get to this.

    7. Certification for tool vendors who want to support DITA:
       discuss whether and how to do this (ie, for CM, translation,
       editors, tools in general)
        - Didn't get to this.

    8.  AOB
        - Didn't get to this.

** Summary of Decisions **
--------------------------

    - TC Members should go back to their organizations and then
      submit prioritizations through the comments form (max of 5)
      (due by 6/21)

** Action Required **
---------------------
    022 Don, Michael -- Put together a "self-study" tutorial/demo,
        as per JoAnn's comments regarding the DITA sessions.  Still
        pending as of 7/20/04.

    062 Eric Sirois, 10/05/04 -- provide XSLT validation for
        specialized schemas once developed (Indi recommends Jarno to
        work with him) >>> 1/25/05 -- this will be an ongoing
        project; the 1.0 spec does not depend on this.

    079 Don Day, 2/8/05 -- Ask Mary Macrae about several issues --
            - How can the public submit comments on the CD?  Can we
              get a mailing list set up?  etc.
            - What are the constraints for the final format of the
              CD?

    080 All, 2/8/05 -- Remove comments from the CD.

    081 All, 2/8/05 -- Will there be a .chm version of the CD files?

    082 All, 3/8/05 -- Submit comments to Michael Priestley on the
        Architecture Specification.

    085 Michael Priestley, 3/15/05 -- provide the HTML format as
        part of the spec (to be done after the submission).

    086 Who?, 3/15/05 -- Need to submit the committee draft 2 to the
        OASIS administration for approval.

    087 3/29/05 -- Ask JoAnn Hackos if she wants to continue
        in her role as co-Editor with Michael Priestley.

    090 Bruce Esrig, 4/26/05 -- Come up with examples of formal
        completeness issues -- e.g. features spplied to some
        elements but not all.

    091 JoAnn Hackos, 5/3/05 -- CMS interoperability document
        / questionnaire <<< post to TC list.

    092 Don Day, 5/17/05 -- Contact the two parties who cast
        a No-vote against approving the 1.0 DITA specification, to
        find out why they voted that way.  <<< STILL PENDING as of
        6/14/05.

    093 All, 5/17/05 -- Review Robert Anderson's review of the DTDs
        --
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200505/msg00021.html

    094 All, 5/17/05 -- Due by 5/20 -- Look through the requirements
        list and post full descriptions to the TC list.  Don will
        then roll them into the doc he is posting for public review.
        Don will target 5/23 as his posting date.

    095 Don Day, 5/17/05 -- Due by 5/23 -- Submit the 1.1
        Requirements List for public review with a cover letter and
        solicit comments/additional ideas, and also ask for which
        items are most important (choose top 5).  Review to be
        closed by start of meeting 6/7/05.  <<< CLOSED 6/14/05.

    096 All, 6/14/05 -- TC Members should go back to their
        organizations and then submit prioritizations through the
        comments form (max of 5) (***due by 6/20***)

    097 Seraphim, 6/14/05 -- For 6/21 meeting, incorporate the new
        tallies for 1.1 requirements, and generate a newly sorted
        list.

    098 All, 6/14/05 -- At 6/21 meeting, break down the 1.1
        requirements list into "must haves" and "nice-to-haves".
        Estimate time requirements for each "must have" --
        development time and TC discussion/decision time.  Build
        schedule based on that.  We also need to determine (for each
        item) Scope, Use Case, Technical Requirements, and
        Cost/Benefit.

    099 All, 6/14/05 -- By 6/20, indicate which issues you want to
        volunteer for -- post to the TC list.

    100 (placeholder)

** Issues to be Resolved **
---------------------------
    009 "Best Practices" document -- Let's put this on the agenda
        for future discussion.

    010 Relationship between DITA and other topic-based
        architectures (such as S1000D) -- Need to incorporate this
        into the "Best Practices" document.

    012 All, 2/8/05 -- Decide how to manage incoming comments
        resulting from the Public Review of the Committee Draft.

    013 Need volunteer to find mentions of "post 1.0" deferred items
        -- need to rank by priority and difficulty) solid things for
        1.1; medium effort design work candidates for 1.2; big items
        for 2.0 in minutes (3/8/05).

    014 (3/29/05) Need list of possible "triage" criteria for
        deciding how to prioritize new requirements.  Don read
        a list of possible criteria at the 3/29/05 meeting.  To be
        discussed and resolved at the next meeting.

    015 (4/26/05) Module registry and module standardization
        process.

    016 (placeholder for next)

<END>
Seraphim Larsen                       CIG Operations / TPPE
Senior Technical Writer                   Intel Corporation
(480) 552-6504                                 Chandler, AZ

The content of this message is my personal opinion only.
Although I am an employee of Intel, the statements I make
here in no way represent Intel's position on the issue, nor
am I authorized to speak on behalf of Intel on this matter.