Subject: Invitation to register DITA with EmergingTechnology.gov

Owen Ambur, Project Manager of the US government's Emerging Technology
organization, is continually making connections among innovative XML
technologies, and he has been watching DITA for some time.  He has
requested that the DITA TC consider registering DITA with the US government
for the reasons he lists in his note attached below.  As an agenda item for
tomorrow's meeting, let's discuss the value of doing so and decide whether
to participate (which might be a foregone conclusion, but the consensus
should be formally arrived at).

Regards,
--
Don Day
Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee

   --T.S. Eliot
----- Forwarded by Don Day/Austin/IBM on 07/11/2005 02:32 PM -----

             Owen_Ambur@ios.do
             i.gov
             07/11/2005 01:56          info@vasont.com
                                       carlmattocks@checkmi.com, Don
                                       Day/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Vasont Systems Newsletter -
                                       July 2005

Have you considered registering DITA at http://et.gov/ and using the ET.gov
process to try to build the CoP around it?  If you were to do so, that
might qualify Vasont (or anyone else) to present at an upcoming meeting of
the xmlCoP.  See http://xml.gov/agendas.asp

Please note that the ET.gov process is a channel for input into the process
by which the Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA) models, particularly the
Service Component (SRM) and Technical Reference Model (TRM), are updated
and maintained.

It seems to me that DITA may be a candidate for inclusion in the TRM.  If
you agree, I encourage you (or anyone else) to consider using ET.gov
site/process and particularly the form at http://et.gov/component_info.aspx
to identify it as such.

Owen Ambur
Co-Chair, xmlCoP  http://xml.gov/
Project Manager, ET.gov  http://et.gov/

                      "Vasont Systems"

                      <info@vasont.com>        To:       Owen
Ambur/PIR/OS/DOI@DOI
                                               cc:

                      07/11/2005 02:11         Subject:  Vasont Systems
Newsletter - July 2005
                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      info

       If you are having problems viewing this message, click below
http://t.lt05.net/html.asp?QcdPkr4RUguTiQNTrfrn1iyyu4XaK/VUfYxNn67tQnUF01JQp1Z2LEZ56kyBjjNJ

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

|                                             Vasont Systems

|Content Management

|  Upcoming Events:
|
|  Tri-XML Conference
|
|  July 28-30, 2005
|

|  Vasont Users' Group Meeting
|
|  September 12-14, 2005
|

|  Best Practices Conference
|
|  September 26-28, 2005
|

|  FrameMaker Chautauqua
|
|  November 7-9, 2005
|

|  Visit our Web site at www.vasont.com
|

|  To unsubscribe:
|
|  Click here to remove your
|
|  e-mail address from our list.
|

|  The Vasont® Content Management System is a product of:
|

|  Vasont Systems
|
|  315 Busser Road
|
|  Emigsville, PA 17318
|
|  717-764-9720

JULY, 2005|

|                           People Are Talking About Vasont
|

|                           Vasont clients are speaking out, and people are
interested in what they have to say.                                     |

|                           PrintMedia Magazine's May/June issue featured
the American Society for Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) in "A Solution

|                           for Cross-Media Publishing." Jeff Shick, R.Ph.,
Director of eHealth Solutions Division and Clinical Informaticist, told  |
|                           the story of how ASHP achieved a better
workflow, faster turnaround, and fewer headaches by implementing the Vasont

|                           Content Management System.
|

|                           You can read the article on our Web site.
|

|                           This fall, more Vasont clients are leaving
their offices and stepping out into the public to talk about their
successful |
|                           experiences with content management.
|

|                           The annual Vasont Users' Group Meeting will be
held on September 12-14 in Hershey, Pennsylvania. This meeting features   |
|                           two clients as guest speakers: Doug Anderson,
Chief Lexicographer for Elsevier and Steve Huffman, Content Management

|                           System Manager for Medtronic Neurological. Both
speakers will present case studies of their content management journeys  |
|                           and successes. All Vasont users are invited to
attend.                                                                   |

|                           On September 26-28, Randy Clark, Project
Manager of Technical Publications for Engenio, will speak at the Best
Practices |
|                           Conference in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. He will
present "Engenio's Strategy for Converting from a Cost Center to a

|                           Revenue-Generating Organization." Engenio's
Technical Publications team is exploring innovative ways to enhance their

|                           value to their company, their customers, and
the users of the information they develop. Converting to structured writing

|                           provided a foundation for such opportunities.
Their structured writing implementation began with a review of their

|                           processes and strategies. Capitalizing on
Comtech's information process maturity assessment, Vasont's content
management |
|                           system, and the Darwin Information Typing
Architecture, they are accelerating their transformation from a cost center
to |
|                           a revenue-generating organization. This
presentation will identify components of their strategy, summarize their

|                           implementation process, and highlight some of
the benefits they have realized to date.

|                           Sharon Kadlec, Senior Electronic Publisher for
Medtronic Neurological, will present at the FrameMaker Chautauqua in      |
|                           Raleigh, North Carolina on November 7-9. The
Technical Communications department in the Neurological division at

|                           Medtronic has implemented an integrated
Vasont/FrameMaker publishing system for producing technical product
manuals. This|
|                           presentation will show how the department moved
from creating non-structured, individual FrameMaker documents to working |
|                           in a highly structured, DTD-controlled world of
shared and interconnected XML content. The end result has been the best  |
|                           of both worlds for this group: robust content
granularity, control, and reuse driven by the Vasont content management

|                           system; and powerful page layout and data
round-tripping with the department’s standard document composition tool,

|                           FrameMaker.
|

|                           If you are interested in attending these
conferences, you can get more information about them by clicking on the
links at|
|                           left under Upcoming Events.
|

|                           The Vasont Webinar Series Continues
|

|                           Deja Vu! We are in the midst of rerunning our
popular series on "Multilingual Publishing: How Do You Manage All Those

|                           Languages? It's Greek to Me!"
|

|                           On Tuesday, July 19, 2005 at 1:00 pm ET (10:00
am PT), we will present "Part 2: It's Not Greek, It's Automatic!"         |
|                           Presenters include Paul Prescod of Blast Radius
and co-author of "The XML Handbook", Karl Kadie of TRADOS, and Bret      |
|                           Freeman of Vasont Systems.
|

|                           In Part 1 of this miniseries, we talked about
getting structured using XML. So now that you have structured content and

|                           you have chosen the right tools, how can you
manage the translation process in the most efficient way? Join Blast
Radius,|
|                           TRADOS, and Vasont Systems as we talk about
ways to automate the translation process to save your organization time and

|                           money.
|

|                           If you missed our first presentation of this
miniseries, now is your chance to catch it again! Register today!

|                           Vasont® Content Management System Supports DITA
and Custom DTDs                                                          |
|                           System is especially effective with DITA
because it manages content “chunks”

|                           The Vasont Content Management System easily
supports Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) as well as other

|                           custom DTDs. As a single-source content
management system, Vasont enables organizations to utilize XML and store
content |
|                           in any language at the “chunk” level, one time,
for maximum reuse and multi-channel delivery. Those existing features,   |
|                           among others, make it ideal for organizations
that use DITA. Vasont is also able to support custom DTDs for
organizations|
|                           that have developed their own as opposed to
moving to an industry standard.

|                           Created by IBM, DITA is an open standard,
XML-based architecture for authoring and publishing technical information.
It  |
|                           helps content creators structure information
into useful topic “chunks” in a consistent way. Because DITA DTDs are

|                           standard, they can be cheaper to maintain.
|

|                           “Vasont is especially effective with DITA
because our system has always dealt with content on a modular level,” said
Jack|
|                           Danaher, Director of Development for Vasont
Systems. “A key strength of DITA is its ‘CONREF’ component that provides a

|                           mechanism for reuse of content fragments and
works towards replacing referencing components with referenced components.

|                           Vasont has a “pointer” component that provides
the same functionality. The Vasont pointer is bidirectional and provides  |
|                           automated processes to manage change in a
modular content environment, providing greater control over your content.
This |
|                           and other refinements make using DITA with
Vasont a very productive environment.”

|                           Designed to improve productivity and
time-to-market of products, Vasont makes it easy for organizations to
manage their  |
|                           multilingual technical documentation and
business information. The system’s comprehensive single-source
functionality    |
|                           stores content once, ensuring accuracy and
increasing the efficiency of repurposing content to multiple media formats.

|                            ATTENTION VASONT USERS: Early Bird
Registration for the Vasont Users' Group Meeting ends JULY 22, so register
now!      |
|                            Meeting information and registration forms are
available on our Web site in the Users' Zone.                            |

  >-|
  | |