Subject: Re: [dita] Scope and compatibility for DITA 1.1

Good question, Chris.

Speaking for the DITA Open Toolkit, all critical bugs (fixed/tested, of
course) go into the next scheduled patch along with scheduled minor
updates; major enhancements are spread out based on user priority (need)
and difficulty of implementation (resource balancing).  I can see a similar
model for the DITA features.... no need to wait for 1.1 to publish all of
them if some are more urgent than others. Our prioritization gives some
sense of what to stage for a first Candidate Release, etc., leading up to a
tested set of full features for the formally approved 1.1 package.

We need to put the known bug fixes out pretty soon, perhaps with some of
the low-hanging fruit of the first few weeks of working on issues.  It's
not clear to me how to group the major proposed enhancements--we can
discuss grouping at the TC meeting or on this thread.

Regards,
--
Don Day
Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee

   --T.S. Eliot

             Christopher Wong
             <cwong@idiominc.c
                                       DITA TC list
             07/11/2005 03:24          <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

                                                                   Subject
                                       [dita] Scope and compatibility for
                                       DITA 1.1

While discussing one of the DITA 1.1 issues, I realized that I don't have a
good sense of how far we can go before something becomes less desirable for
a minor release. Are any of these changes less desirable than others if we
want to make "modest" improvements to DITA?
      Add new attributes to an old element
      Relax content for an element so it can contain previously disallowed
      elements
      Specialize new elements off a pre-existing element
      Create brand new elements
Chris