Subject: RE: [dita] Proposed Issue: Recognizing DITA Documents

That might be enough but I think that we could design something better.

  1. It’s a little bit hard to find for computers because it isn’t reliably on the root element (sometimes it is on a sub-element of the root element).
  2. It’s hard to find for humans because it is not in the document instance but rather in the DTD or Schema.
  3. The value seems to reflect the Open Toolkit version rather than the DITA Specification version.

If we agree that these are issues then we could pretty easily redesign it to fix them.

From: Erik Hennum [mailto:ehennum@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 7:52 AM
To: Paul Prescod
Cc: dita@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi, Paul:

Doesn't the existing ditaarch:DITAArchVersion attribute of <topic>, <map>, and their specializations supply this identification? What's missing?

Thanks,

Erik Hennum
ehennum@us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for "Paul Prescod" <paul.prescod@blastradius.com>"Paul Prescod" <paul.prescod@blastradius.com>

"Paul Prescod" <paul.prescod@blastradius.com>

08/29/2005 12:59 AM

<dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

cc

Subject

[dita] Proposed Issue: Recognizing DITA Documents

DITA documents have a variety of different structures. Some have DOCTYPE declarations. Some do not. Those with DOCTYPE declarations can have a variety of different public and system identifiers. This makes it impossible to recognize DITA documents based upon the contents of the file.

It is important to be able to recognize DITA documents in order to know when to apply specialized processing to DITA elements and attributes. For example the attribute “id” has different semantics in DITA than in many other DTDs and schemas.

I propose a short declaration that would identify DITA documents and their DITA versions.

Paul Prescod