Subject: RE: [dita] DITA Issue Proposal: Styling Options for Conditional Text

Hi, JoAnn and Paul:

We might want to include this issue in the existing item, 39 Policy-based style mechanism.

(By the way, JoAnn, I'm an interested party on that item.)

I'd suggest that our approach to style policies should consist of selectors and properties. In essence, a policy file should be able to attach any style or layout property (including an exclude or hide property) to any content fragment.

The selectors should be CSS-like matches on inherited class, instance identifier, token value, or nesting of the above. The goal should be to put policy decisions in the hands of the broad audience that wouldn't be successful with XSLT. (Because XSLT is always available as a general fallback, style policies can provide a purely declarative set of selectors and properties rather than executable flow and expressions.)

To produce books from bookmaps, the set of properties will need properties like page break and so on.

A bit more on the thought:

Paul's note below highlights the convergence of this approach with DITA conditional values, which also provide a system of selectors and properties. In a perfect world, existing DITA values files would remain valid instances of the more general style policies format. A transform might be acceptable.

Thanks,

Erik Hennum
ehennum@us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for "JoAnn Hackos" <joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com>"JoAnn Hackos" <joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com>

          "JoAnn Hackos" <joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com>

          08/29/2005 07:55 AM

"Paul Prescod" <paul.prescod@blastradius.com>, <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

cc

Subject

RE: [dita] DITA Issue Proposal: Styling Options for Conditional Text

I fully support this proposal.

JoAnn

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President