Subject: RE: [dita] Nested index terms

That's correct. I think in real life it happens most often if somebody
clicks inside an existing index entry, and adds a secondary, without
realizing that they have split the text. For example, if you add a
secondary term to an existing "installing stuff" term just by clicking
inside the term, you could end up with:

In that case, the user will still want the original term intact:
installing stuff
   on Linux

Or, to clarify the original sample, perhaps it should have been
<indexterm>This was divided
  <indexterm>Nested 1</indexterm>
  <indexterm>Nested 2</indexterm>
  by accident
</indexterm>

Thanks-

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit

             "Grosso, Paul"
             <pgrosso@ptc.com>
             09/30/2005 03:06          <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [dita] Nested index terms

I believe there are several examples in this email thread.

In my mind, it's anytime the content of an indexterm
contains what the DOM would call a text chunk (other
than all whitespace) other than as the first child of
the indexterm.  So in

<indexterm>Top level
  <indexterm>Nested 1</indexterm>
  <indexterm>Nested 2</indexterm>
  with additional text
</indexterm>

the additional text is "with additional text" because
it comes after a couple indexterm children of the
overall indexterm.

paul