Subject: RE: [dita] Attributes when using conref

I feel that this is not an issue that implementors should be making based on mailing list feedback but is part of the DITA Processing Model that should be part of the DITA specification. Whether or not we start a full-fledged activity to document the full model, every time we answer a question like this below we should vote to transcribe the answer into the DITA specification so that interoperability arises through careful specification reading and not mailing list archeology.

Therefore I have two concrete proposals:

 1. This particular question should be considered a 1.1 issue to be answered in the 1.1 specification.

 2. That we create a sub-committee responsible in general for documenting the DITA processing model. I may be able to find someone within Blast Radius to be the editor for such a sub-specification.

From: Michael Priestley [mailto:mpriestl@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 9:05 AM
To: France Baril
Cc: dita@lists.oasis-open.org

I'm in favour of using both, with the source's attributes winning in a pitched battle. IE, the conreffing element can override attributes on the target, where necessary (eg adding a conditional property, or an outputclass value...)

Michael Priestley
IBM DITA Architect
SWG Classification Schema PDT Lead
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com

"France Baril" <France.Baril@ixiasoft.com>

10/25/2005 11:52 AM

<dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
[dita] Attributes when using conref

I could not find this in our doc:

When I conref an element, should I used the attributes from the source or from the target? My first idea is to use the target's attributes.

What do you think?

France Baril
Documentation Architect/Architecte documentaire
IXIASOFT

tel.:         + 1 514 279-4942
fax:         + 1 514 279-3947
toll free:   + 1 877 279-IXIA