Subject: Constraints and Inheritance

I am not confident that organizations will want their constraints to be applied to specializations. In the case where a constraint is really an "authoring" guideline, there is no reason to apply the constraint to specializations: the content models for specializations created by the organization are inherently at the right level of specificity for the task.

As Erik said during the call: there is no current way, given limitations of our implementation technologies, to have constraints "automatically" inherit down the specialization hierarchy. So there is no efficiency benefit to be had in saying that constraints apply down the specialization hierarchy. In fact, it just creates work for specialization/constraint maintainers, trying to maintain consistency up and down their specialization hierarchy.

 Paul Prescod