Subject: Re: [dita] Nested Sections

Hi all -

Since the discussion involves learning objects and DITA, I'll jump into the fray...

The approach Michael outlines here very much parallels the approach we took with the sample DITA learning specializations Bob Bernard and I describe in our recent two-part article on using DITA to model an XML-based information architecture for learning content on the IBM developerWorks website.

The DITA design and process model is described in part a, here - http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-dita9a/

Sample content and DITA schema downloads in part b, here - http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-dita9b/

This design proposes using a map domain to structure the specific set DITA topics that comprise a reusable learning object.

The specialized learning topics include a learningAssessment type, modeled very much as Michael suggests below for question, where a learningassess container topic can contain nested assessment items.

<learningassess>

     <title>...</title>

     <learningassessbody...</learningassessbody>

     <learningassess>

           <title>...</title>

           <learningassessbody...</learningassessbody>

     </learningassess>

     <learningassess>

           <title>...</title>

           <learningassessbody...</learningassessbody>

     </learningassess>

     <learningassess>

           <title>...</title>

           <learningassessbody...</learningassessbody>

     </learningassess>

     <learningassess>

           <title>...</title>

           <learningassessbody...</learningassessbody>

     </learningassess>

</learningassess>

The container learningassess topic provides a title for the assessment group, and its body content might provide instructions or objectives/context for the assessment. Each nested learningassess provides a specific assessment item.

This potentially makes these items available for use in other assessments for other learning objects, makes it possible to create assessments by drawing from a larger pool of available learningassess items and assembling a sub-set via a map or conrefs, and so on.

In short, making it possible to de-couple a specific assessment item from the particular assessment context makes these items potentially more reusable, without limiting your ability to keep them together in a single group as nested assessments.

John Hunt
IBM DITA Learning Architect & Lotus ID Architect
IBM Software Group/Lotus Software
john_hunt@us.ibm.com