OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]



(Minutes taken by Seraphim Larsen <seraphim.l.larsen@intel.com>)

DITA Technical Committee website: 
    - Public:       http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=dita
    - Members only: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/

Roll call
    - We have quorum!

Review/approve minutes from previous meeting:
(Dec 6)
    - Given that Seraphim will remove the dialogue on Item #38, Don
      Day moves that we accept the minutes as read.
        - Sharon Veach seconds
        - No objections
        - Minutes approved by acclamation

- Translation focus, upcoming activities:
    - Don -- We don't have any certification regarding DITA's
      translation-supporting characteristics
        - For 12/20 meeting, we've lined up Andrzej Zydron to spend
          some time discussing this.  Dec 20 15 min with Andrzej
          Zydron on xml:tm and translation best practices
        - For 1/17 meeting, Yves Savourel will present something on
          translation best practices.  Jan 17 presentation,
          discussion/review with Yves Savourel (W3C ITS)
    - Don --
        - These presentations will take place within the DITA TC
        - It's also OK to invite other people from member companies
          to attend as observers to see these presentations
        - Bruce -- Is there a limit of the number of people who can
          join the call?
        - Don -- Yes, about 70 lines, so, if you have 20 people from
          your company or something like that, maybe you can set up
          a bridge, or let Don know ahead of time
            - ACTION *** for Don to send meeting information to the
              TC list, with a summary of who these people are, and
              dial-in information for the meetings

Actions/status from last week:
- New template for 1.1
    - Draft has been completed and posted to the TC doc repository

Review "left off the list" and unnumbered proposals for 1.1 scope:

    The items left behind by not being explicitly designated for the 1.1 cutoff include:
        - Procedure -- Go through each one, get consensus, and do
          one final vote at the end.

       #7 reconcile metadata elements in topics versus maps
            - Michael Priestley (MP) -- let's keep it in 1.1 (he
              then tried to make the case why we should do that)
            - Don -- OK, consensus is to keep this in 1.1A
            - KEEP in 1.1

       #13 Create containers for steps and other elements
            - Don -- this one is done.  This is already an
              architected solution in one of the other proposals.
            - DROP from 1.1, already covered in other proposals
       #46 Allow substeps to be used as steps elsewhere
            - Michael -- Point to #19 as our workaround for this,
              taking it off the list for 1.1 for now.  #19 makes it
              possible to do this in the future, possibly also in
              combination with some stuff in #17. 
            - Don -- Thus, this one is off the list for 1.1.
            - Paul Prescod -- Need to make a distinction between
              items we are dropping because (1) We are solving them
              in other ways, (2) We are not solving them at all, (3)
              We are deferring solution to the future.
            - Don -- Again, this one is closed because it is solved
              via one of the other proposals already in the works.
            - DROP from 1.1, already covered in other proposals

       #1  Keyword (semantic role of keyword)
            - Don -- Based on Paul Prescod's analysis, we will defer
              this one to post 1.1. 
            - DROP from 1.1, deferred to post 1.1

       #16 Extend link syntax to allow indicating context of a target
            - Elliot -- This is important because the reuse
              mechanism in DITA is fundamentally broken, but doubts
              that we can fix it in 1.1, probably need to fix in
              2.0, since.
            - Paul Prescod -- If you conref something twice, and
              then you xref that element by ID, to which output do
              you generate a link?
            - Michael -- If you have two topics with the same ID,
              the implemented behavior is to take the first one.
            - Elliot -- He considers that this is fundamentally
            - Michael -- At least, we're in agreement that should be
              addressed post 1.1.  Disagreement about whether
              there's really a problem.
            - Paul -- The implementation Michael mentioned is not in
              the specification -- it's just in the reference
              toolkit.  We need to document what the current
              behavior is expected to be, and *that* issue needs to
              be captured in 1.1.

            - DROP #16 from 1.1, deferred to post 1.1, with possibility
              for "best practices" to address some of the issues.

            - But add *** NEW PROPOSAL for 1.1 -- Update spec to
              reflect current behavior of items conreffed more than
              once in the current implemented behavior that you see
              in the Toolkit reference implementation.   Michael
              will own this new proposal, with Paul and Elliot as

       #36 Extensible metadata by expressing data in map structures
            - Erik -- This one is already handled by #9. 
            - Don -- Agreed.
            - DROP #36 from 1.1, already covered in other proposals
       #39 Policy based style
            - Don -- Not possible in 1.1 scope.
            - DROP #39 from 1.1, deferred to post 1.1
       #41 Allow expanding the shortdesc model (related to #42, which IS on the list)
            - DROP #41, already covered in other proposals (#42)

       #48 Support change history and annotations in prolog
            - Erik -- We need to expand on the critical date
              elements that are already in the prolog. 
            - Don -- We need to make sure it extends to map as well
              as topic
            - DROP #48 from 1.1, deferred to post 1.1

       #10 Navtitle as element (subsumed into #11)
            - DROP #10 from 1.1, already covered in other proposals

       #15 Allow role names to be namespaced
            - Elliot -- Two different specializations can use the
              same role name with different semantics
            - Don -- This is probably a 2.0-level issue?
            - Elliot -- OK with him to defer to 2.0.
            - Erik -- General acknowledgement that DITA would
              benefit significantly from this.
            - Don -- Can it be scoped to 1.1?
            - Erik -- No one has come up with a plausible and
              straightforward method to solve this.
            - Don -- We're out of time, need to defer discussion on
              this one.

       #18 move @format and @scope into rel-atts
            - No time to finish discussion.

       #31 Side-by-side implementation of DITA ids and xml:id
            - No time to finish discussion.

       #33 Move <refsyn> to a domain (depends on #32, which was accepted)
            - No time to finish discussion.

       #44 Keep indextermref (or redefine its function)
            - No time to finish discussion.

       #49 Better separation of XSL-FO names from XSLT logic (looks like Toolkit req)
            - No time to finish discussion.

    - Don -- We'll finish the discussion next time, and take our
      vote then.  ACTION *** for Don to put this on the agenda.

    Unnumbered contributions that arrived SINCE the original list was gathered
    and weighted:

       Spec and process issues (from Yas's notes, other comments):
       Update DITA 1.0 DTD/Schema specification (bug fixes and comment edits)
       http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200507/msg00058.html among

       OASIS artifact naming guidelines (to follow where applicable)

       Documenting DITA design principles (not approved yet)

       Details in the DITA spec--Priestley ("There are some cases... where the
       spec needs to be updated")
       - behavior of conref with attributes on the referencing element
       - why a content fragment has to be addressed within a topic

       Styling options for conditional text

       Recognizing DITA documents

    New worked proposals (unnumbered) from members:

       Extensibility of DITA through new attributes
       http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200508/msg00069.html and

       Styling Options for Conditional Text
       http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200508/msg00066.html and

       Recognizing DITA Documents
       http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200508/msg00067.html and

       Start of documenting DITA design principles (Paul Prescod)

       Module Registry proposal (Bruce Esrig)

       Clarification of Chunk attribute (Erik Hennum)

       Criteria for making distinction between general and industry-specific
       DTDs/schemas (future agenda discussion)

This section tracks changes as decisions/approvals are made.

Issues tracking:
- Features list
- Definition of Status Phases:
  - In Progress:  Author(s) still working on proposal
  - Submitted:  Proposal has been submitted to TC for consideration;
    needs TC decision (vote) in order to proceed.
  - Proposal Approved:  TC has approved the proposal; authors working to
    complete the design
  - Design Approved:  Final design of the proposal has been approved.
  - Postponed:  Proposal has been postponed to post-1.1.

- Design Approved:
  - # 9 New DATA element
  - #12 Make universal attributes completely universal

- Proposal Approved:
  - #20 Extensible metadata attributes
  - #11 Create elements for text attributes with translatable text
  - #40 Keyref architecture
  - #23 Embed version numbers into catalogs
  - #45 Add See, See Also indexing elements
  - #45a Add sort order indexing elements
  - #45b Add page range indexing elements
  - #34: Constraints - restriction without specialization
  -      Naming convention
  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200509/msg00024.html (approved 2005-09-30)
  -      Relax the related links content model so it can be empty (more of a fix issue)
  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200509/msg00050.html (proposal)
  http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/14855/TC-Meeting-Minutes-04-October-2005.txt (approved for 1.1 timing)

  - #38: Add book-level processing to DITA based upon revised bookmap demo
  - #32: Domain and topic integration


- Submitted:
(defer to 12/20)
  - #8: Allow tm to contain images or logo content (postpone this for 2 weeks, per Kravogel)
  - #5 Add ANSI warning labels as addition to element
  - # 4 Use subset of OASIS xNAL standard for addresses

(resume here for 12/13)
  - #19 Introduce new, more general task type
  - # 6 Make @role (and other enumerated attribues) unenumerated
  - #17a Conref - improved specialization support
  - #17b Conref - with delta (applying changes)
  - #17c Conref - referencing a range of elements
  - #17d Conref and conditional processing - preserve without resolving
  - #17e Conref - push instead of pull
  - #42 shortdesc flexibility (includes #41)
  - #43 Semantic (implicit) linking
  - #35 Support foreign content vocabularies such as MathML and SVG
  - #14 Specialize glossary entry and definition elements
  - #2 Keywords in keywords
  - #00 Nested Sections Solution Proposal

- In progress:
  - #47 Structured Sections (replaced by "Nested sections proposed compromise")

- Postponed to Post 1.1:
- #37 Reconciling topic and elements

- Post 1.1: everything else

See http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200512/msg00010.html

8:50-8:55 Announcements/Opens

8:55 Adjourn


Seraphim Larsen                       CIG Operations / TPPE
Senior Technical Writer                   Intel Corporation
(480) 552-6504                                 Chandler, AZ

The content of this message is my personal opinion only.
Although I am an employee of Intel, the statements I make
here in no way represent Intel's position on the issue, nor
am I authorized to speak on behalf of Intel on this matter.

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]