OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]



(Minutes taken by Seraphim Larsen <seraphim.l.larsen@intel.com>)

Date:  Tuesday, 24 January 2006
Time:  08:00am - 09:00am PT

DITA Technical Committee website: 
    - Public:       http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=dita
    - Members only: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/
    - Wiki:         http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/

- Roll call
    - We do have quorum

- Review/approve minutes from previous meeting:
    - (Jan 3) http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/16133/minutes.1.03.06.txt
        - Don moved to approve the minutes, Seraphim seconded, no
          objections, approved by acclamation.

    - (Jan 10) http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/16269/TC-Meeting-Minutes-2006-1-10.txt
        - Don moved to approve the minutes, Robert Anderson
          seconded, no objections, approved by acclamation.

    - Jan 17 was not a regular TC business meeting -- no minutes.

    - Review recent translation discussion--schedule actions
        - Create a liason between the two groups on translation
            - **** ACTION for Don to initiate liason activity with
              the ITS workgroup at WC3
            - Anyone else interested in participating in that
                - Kumar Gershon volunteered
                - Don thinks JoAnn Hackos is also interested, but he
                  won't volunteer her.  :)
            - **** ACTION for Don to add discussion of xml:tm and
              translation scorecard to the list

- Review OASIS DITA Wiki:
    - http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/FrontPage
        - Don gave a walk-through
        - Seraphim will help Don administer the site (keep things
        - Anyone who is a *member* of the TC may create/edit pages;
          observers and non-members have read-only access.
        - Our previous work on items accepted for DITA 1.1 is here:
            - http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/AcceptedAndCandidate

- Resume review of "left off the list" and unnumbered proposals for 1.1 scope:
    - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200512/msg00010.html
    - http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/OffTheList#preview
        - (start at #33)

        - #33 Move <refsyn> to a domain (depends on #32, which was accepted)
            - Some discussion of an issue raised by Michael
              Priestley -- his issue was resolved.
            - This one is ready to be included in the 1.1 cutoff

        - #44 Keep indextermref (or redefine its function)
            - Don -- This one had been indicated for deprecation --
              there may be possible alternative ways of doing this,
              therefore the semantic for having a dedicated element
              didn't necessarily seem useful enough to keep it.
              Thus, the question is, shall we drop indextermref?
            - Michael Priestley -- What exactly is the proposal?  To
              make it undeprecated?
            - (Some discussion, but the echo on the conference call
              made it impossible to follow.)
            - Don -- There doesn't seem any strong sentiment towards
              keeping indextermref.  Any objections?
            - No objections, so for 1.1, we keep this as status quo,
              in other words, not on the 1.1 agenda.
        - #49 Better separation of XSL-FO names from XSLT logic
          (looks like Toolkit req)
            - Don -- His take is that this is a toolkit requirement,
              a "best practice", but not something under the domain
              of the spec.  Thus, his recommendation for this is
              *not* to include it in the spec (not for 1.1, or later
              either).  Let's remove this, since it's not something
              the TC needs to address.
            - Don -- We've determined that this does not apply to
              the TC, but to the Toolkit.  ***** ACTION for Don, to
              transfer this to the Developer's list for the toolkit.
    - Unnumbered items come next (same list of items, just some of
      them weren't numbered...)

        - Spec and process issues (from Yas's notes, other
          comments): Update DITA 1.0 DTD/Schema specification (bug
          fixes and comment edits)
            - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200507/msg00058.html
              among others
            - Robert Anderson -- The only additional bug fix is
              (something about syntax diagrams).  Does that need to
              be fixed here?
            - Don -- Let's close this item, and make that syntax
              diagram a new bug item (Closed)
        - Paul -- As an aside -- how do things get added to this
          list of issues (such as his graphics issue, which he
          posted to the TC list)?
            - Don -- Go to the Wiki
              scroll down to the bottom, click on the "Edit" button
              (on the left).  Add your item to the bottom of the
              current list.  You could also post your document to
              the Documents repository on the OASIS site.  Or maybe
              point to the posting on the list.  ***** ACTION for
              Don and Seraphim to work out the adminstrative
              details.  In the meantime, go ahead and just edit the
              Wiki page.
            - Kumar -- Can any member add something here?
            - Don -- Yes, but we're only taking new, minor items
              now, such as bug fixes -- no more major items that
              would require major rework.
            - Don -- Also, please just add things to the end of the
              existing list, so it's easier to work through them.

        - OASIS artifact naming guidelines (to follow where applicable)
            - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200507/maillist.html
            - Robin Cover -- those guidelines are not finished yet,
              so let's not commit to anything yet (we don't know
              what we'd be committing to).
            - Don -- OK, let's just point the spec editors to that,
              as a reference, but it's not something we will commit
              to follow right now.

        - Documenting DITA design principles (not approved yet)
            - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200510/msg00005.html
            - Don -- Good suggestion -- Should this be part of the
              spec itself, or an ancillary document?
            - Michael Priestly -- It makes sense to include it as
              part of the spec. 
            - Don -- Makes sense, just didn't want to increase the
              editors' workload.
                    - Maybe the editors can develop this through the
                      DITA Wiki, so many people can contribute to
            - Michael -- Would not be comfortable moving the
              proposed list directly into the spec, since it
              contradicts what IBM actually does.  Thus his
              recommendation is to include a section on design
              principles, but it won't be as straightforward as just
              adopting the existing doc.  There are different
              perspectives on what the best design principles really
            - Don -- Let's keep this in 1.1, but the specific
              content is to be worked out by the editors.
            - Michael -- Yes, but it won't be trivial, and will need
            - Don -- Is it on the 1.1 list or not?
            - Michael -- Yes, it should stay on the 1.1 list.

        - Details in the DITA spec--Priestley
            - ("There are some cases... where the spec needs to be
            - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200510/msg00059.html
            - behavior of conref with attributes on the referencing
            - why a content fragment has to be addressed
              within a topic

                - Don -- Are there any cases where the spec needs to
                  be updated?
                - Michael -- No, it's normal that it's not updated. 
                - Don -- So, does this need to go into 1.1?
                - Michael -- Yes.
                - Decision -- Recommendation is to leave it on the
                  1.1 list.

        - Extensibility of DITA through new attributes
            - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200508/msg00065.html 
            - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200508/msg00069.html
              and following
            - Don -- Is there a reason why this is not one of the
              existing requirements that we've already discussed?
              Isn't this already covered in the general
              extensibility of attributes that is covered by another
              proposal in progress?
            - Michael -- There was some confusion, because Michael
              was calling it metadata attributes, and did not refer
              to all attributes in general.  This new proposal is in
              regard to all attributes in general.
                - It really comes down to design principles.
                  Inheritance doesn't work with attributes, and to
                  make it work, we need to do a lot of rework.
                  That's possible for profiling attributes, but it's
                  outside of present scope to do it for *all*
                  attributes.  General extensibility (being able to
                  specialize *anything*) is going to be really hard
                  to address.
                - We might be able to handle Paul Prescod's concerns
                  by defining two base class attributes, one for
                  profiling and one for anything, and only allowing
                  specialization off of those two.
                - Without Paul Prescod, we can't really resolve
                  today.  So let's continue here next time.

- Announcements/Opens
    - None


Seraphim Larsen                       CIG Operations / TPPE
Senior Technical Writer                   Intel Corporation
(480) 552-6504                                 Chandler, AZ
The content of this message is my personal opinion only.
Although I am an employee of Intel, the statements I make
here in no way represent Intel's position on the issue, nor
am I authorized to speak on behalf of Intel on this matter.

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]