Subject: Re: [dita] Implicit work for DITA 1.1

Hi, Don:

The implications would be:

The outputclass attribute doesn't specify a real type (neither on the topic elements nor on the map elements), only an informal role, so no cast is involved.

Hoping that clarifies,

Erik Hennum
ehennum@us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for Don Day/Austin/IBMDon Day/Austin/IBM

          Don Day/Austin/IBM

          02/23/2006 12:37 PM

Erik Hennum/Oakland/IBM@IBMUS

cc

"DITA TC list " <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

Subject

Re: [dita] Implicit work for DITA 1.1Erik Hennum
What is the extent of this fix, Erik? Simply adding its declaration into the attlist for topicref? And what are the processing implications? I assume the normal behavior would be "ignore," but can see an extended behavior of providing some kind of cast to the referenced topic (possibly non-trivial).

Regards,
--

Don Day
Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee

Email: dond@us.ibm.com
11501 Burnet Rd. MS9033E015, Austin TX 78758
Phone: +1 512-838-8550
T/L: 678-8550

--T.S. Eliot

Inactive hide details for Erik Hennum/Oakland/IBM@IBMUSErik Hennum/Oakland/IBM@IBMUS

          Erik Hennum/Oakland/IBM@IBMUS

          02/23/2006 01:12 PM

Don Day/Austin/IBM@IBMUS

cc

"DITA TC list " <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

Subject

Re: [dita] Implicit work for DITA 1.1

Hi, Don and Committee Folk:

With regard to

One bug that's fallen through the cracks is that the outputclass attribute is available only on the topic elements and not on the map elements. As a result, a writer can't indicate special kinds of topic relationship in the map.

The outputclass attribute provides an informal mechanism for narrowing the semantic of the element. We might think of it as a role or the poor man's specialization -- an approach available to writers without defining new schema modules.

If we agree that's a bug fix, we might address it in DITA 1.1. If we feel it's an enhancement, we should defer it until DITA 1.2 to maintain our focus and momentum.

Thanks,

Erik Hennum
ehennum@us.ibm.com

GIF image