OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]


Hi all,

Here are the minutes from yesterday's TC meeting.

Best Regards,

Gershon L Joseph
Member, OASIS DITA and DocBook Technical Committees
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.
office: +972-8-974-1569
mobile: +972-57-314-1170
(Minutes taken by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>)

Date:  Tuesday, 6 March 2006
Time:  08:00am - 09:00am PT

DITA Technical Committee Web site:  
- Public:       http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=dita
- Members only: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/
- Wiki:         http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/

Resources for this meeting:
- DITA Wiki home page:

Roll call --> We have quorum

Review/approve minutes from previous meeting:
- http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200603/msg00000.html (28 Feb 2006)
- Don moves to accept the minutes as read, Sharon seconds, no objections,
    approved and accepted by acclamation.


- Review "Graphic scaling improvements" proposal (Paul Grosso); Design Complete?
    - Paul -- What does height and width currently mean? Are they passed 
        through as-is in DITA-OT?
    - Robert -- Yes
    - Paul -- DITA language reference defines these attributes as "maximum 
        height/width" -- what does that mean? Suggest deleting 'maximum' from 
	documentation. Then, height and width give the desired height and 
	width of the image, which is what we expect in HTML output. This 
	documentation change provides for point #2 in my proposal. Height and 
	width are NMTOKEN, so we should clarify in the spec that these allow 
	for setting values with units. No DTD changes are required, only 
	documentation updates and DITA-OT changes to support units specified
	on these 2 attributes.
        In XSL-FO, external-graphic has height and width properties that refer 
	to viewport, whereas what we're talking about is content-height and 
	content-width in XSL-FO. Bruce felt we should change our attribute 
	names to match the XSL-FO spec, but Paul sees no need to change.
        The second part of the proposal is to add the scale attribute to 
	<image>, and allow it to be NMTOKEN so we are free to specify the 
	scaling semantics. Semantics of this are what's already defined in 
	DocBook and other DTD specs. Paul is willing to contribute to 
	spec language. Basically, scale the specified width and height by the 
	scale attribute value.
    - Don -- Paul should advise Michael of any suggested documentation 
    - Paul moves to accept the proposal as explained, Rob Frankland seconds, 
        no objections, proposal accepted by acclamation.
    --DECISION-- Graphic scaling improvements will be part of DITA 1.1.
    --ACTION ITEM-- Paul G to send documentation updates to Michael

- Discuss "shortdesc extension" proposals--potential dependency for bookmap (Michael); Design Complete?
    [this is #42 of the accepted items list, with item 41 merged in]
    - Michael -- Current <shortdesc> is too short to act as the first paragraph 
        of content. Proposal is to loosen up while still maintaining current 
	behavior. Increase content model of <shortdesc> to section or 
	paragraph level, and allow special sub-shortdesc element inside 
	shortdesc that is used for the preview; if no subshortdesc element, 
	the whole shortdesc is used.
        This is an authoring-time choice.
    - JoAnn -- What type of elements will be allowed in shortdesc?
    - Michael - - tables, lists, etc.
    - Paul P -- What would we do if shortdesc has no subshortdesc and contains 
        tables and other complex stuff?
    - Michael -- We'll have to be clever with the processing and take the 
        first para or some other algorithm.
        Alternative solution is to keep current shortdesc model and add 
	new <abstract> that can include shortdesc, which will be used for 
        preview and removes all the processing requirements of the fist 
	proposal. Both <shortdesc> and <abstract> would be optional.
    - Gershon -- How about allowing <abstract> or <shortdesc> (one or the 
        other) and have abstract contain <shortdesc>?
    - Michael -- <abstract> as alternative to <shortdesc> available in <topic> 
        and derivatives; act as para content model with <shortdesc> as an 
	extra child in addition to paragraph's content options. <shortdesc> in 
	<abstract> would be phrase level. If more than one <shortdesc> in 
	<abstract>, only the first one would be used.
    - Paul P -- Why not concatenate all the <shortdescs> together? This is 
        more what the users would expect.
    - Michael accepts.
    - Don moves to accept the <shortdesc> proposal, Robert seconds, no 
        objections, proposal accepted by acclamation.
    --DECISION-- <shortdesc> extensions will be included in DITA 1.1.

- Status check on "unknown" element design--foreign content vocabularies such as SVG, MathML (Paul Prescod)
    - Paul P -- Some progress made last week.
    - Don -- Put on next week's agenda.

- Status check on Translation Subcommittee proposals
    - Don -- No solid proposal yet. Should have by next week, since 
        recommendations are being voted on next week.

- Discuss Glossary submission for book theme
    - Don -- Received from Eric Hennum.

- Prescod questions on the list:
    [http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200602/msg00081.html  and ]
    [http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200602/msg00080.html /@name]
    [http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200602/msg00075.html Navtitle and locktitle]
    --ACTION ITEM-- Paul to motivate and discuss on the email list.

Meeting adjourned.

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]