Subject: RE: [dita] Is this correct?

Hi Paul - you may be expecting my response here, because I've spoken up
before, but I will be even less helpful this time around.

I can't really say what the name attribute does, which seems to indicate
that we need to fix the spec.

The object came straight out of HTML, to allow people to code HTML objects.
So, the definition presumably would point back to HTML. Tracking down the
definition in the HTML Spec, I come to this description for <object>:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/objects.html#h-13.3

which points here for @name:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/interact/forms.html#adef-name-INPUT

which says "this attribute assigns the control name." Controls are used for
forms, as described here:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/interact/forms.html#control-name

I've never coded object elements on my own (in DITA or in HTML), so I've
never used any of the attributes. I also can't really say whether the
example I gave before is a valid use of the attribute - I just asked some
authors if they'd used it, and was pointed to that one. I was hoping
somebody with more <object> experience would speak up, but...

Robert D Anderson
Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit
(507) 253-8787, T/L 553-8787

             "Paul Prescod"
             <paul.prescod@bla
             stradius.com>                                              To
                                       Robert D
             03/08/2006 01:03          Anderson/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS
                                       <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [dita] Is this correct?

But what does the name attribute _do_?

According to the DITA specification it is for forms, but DITA does not
have forms.

http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.0/langspec/object.html

 Paul Prescod