Subject: RE: [dita] [dita-translation] TC/DITA/Translation Subcommittee Proposals

Paul et al,
The SC had a considerable debate about the LRO and RLO values. I've
enclosed the last series of emails for you and others to review. I've
also asked some of the experts in this to explain the decision.

Unfortunately, Gershon Joseph cannot be on the call today. He has been
leading the discussions. He has also been testing Xmetal's new BIDI
release (or pre-release).

JoAnn

-----Original Message-----
From: Grosso, Paul [mailto:pgrosso@ptc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 7:49 AM
To: JoAnn Hackos; dita@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [dita] [dita-translation] TC/DITA/Translation Subcommittee
Proposals

I agree that some more explanation will be necessary
before we can agree to put this in the DITA spec.

In particular, while most people may know about LTR and
RTL (since it is part of HTML), many may not know what
the processing expectations are for LRO and RLO (unless
they get into the details of bidi-override in either the
CSS or XSL-FO specifications).  The subject of language
direction and bidi-override is complex enough without
forcing people to read the entire CSS or XSL-FO spec plus
the Unicode spec just to be able to use the DITA dir attribute.

paul

--- Begin Message ---
Looks like you have not used XMetaL's new BIDI release (I'm not sure if it's freely available yet). Maybe it's the only XML editor that works correctly (similar to Word)? I don't understand the argument that it's an output only issue. When working in documents with both English and Hebrew (we do lots of those), or both English and Arabic, not having the ability to control the direction makes XML useless to us. May as well work natively in MS Word, where we can control the direction correctly at input time.

We have lots of users who create multilingual documents who are currently investigating moving to XML. I'm not going to push the case for DITA to support the dir attribute, since it's probably only necessary in the ME, and we can continue using DocBook for these projects.

Adding dir to the DTD has very little overhead on the DTD side. How much work is required on the toolkit side remains to be seen (I need to test some samples, which I was planning to do once DITA 1.1 with the dir attribute was designed). If the group feels they would rather do without dir, so be it.

Best Regards,
Gershon