Subject: RE: [dita] Book title in bookmap

Hello,

I'd vote for option 1. I'm not in favor of having any translatable
content in the book map. That just makes one more file to translate, one
more place to manage terminology, one more file to version, and one more
place mistakes can be made. If the book file is only a collection of
references to external content, the efficiency of the map is preserved.

The conflict is unavoidable. People using book maps now, with their
titles in attributes, will have to rework their files either way.

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert D Anderson [mailto:robander@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, April 03, 2006 2:09 PM
To: dita@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [dita] Book title in bookmap

Don and I were working on the bookmap DTD, and ran in to a problem. When
we originally put the proposal together, we were planning for one large
release rather than the current 1.1 and 1.2 releases. As part of the
design, we counted on proposed feature number 11, which had already been
approved:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/13734/IssueNumber11.ht
ml

This is the proposal to make translatable attributes into elements. One
of the items in that proposal is to add a <title> element to map, to be
used instead of the title attribute. The book model really needs this
title element in order to allow for more structured book titles, such as
title + library information. Unfortunately, feature #11 was moved to
1.2, so it will not be released with bookmap. I see three possibilities:
1. We force the title into the bookmeta element. This could work, but
will cause conflicts with the title element once 1.2 is released (and
bookmap is updated for the change).
2. We do that one part of #11 in 1.1 -- we just allow the title element
inside map. Leave the others for 1.2.
3. We let the 1.1 scope creep to include all of #11

I would vote for #2 - the partial implementation that brings the title
element into maps. Any other thoughts?

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit