Subject: RE: [dita] Proposed changes to the xml:lang proposal

I think this rewrite is misleading (unless, of course,
it's my understanding of what we are trying to say that
is mistaken).

Though I'm no Unicode expert, my understanding is that
there are Unicode code points that can be embedded in
an XML document that can indicate direction changes.
Similarly, one can embed a string of Unicode characters
that represent, say, a phrase using Chinese ideographs.
These can be done without using an (explicit XML) markup.
However, what we are trying to say here is not to do that,
but instead to use explicit XML markup to delineate the
strings from different languages.

True, one should be setting the xml:lang attribute appropriately
on the start tag of the markup that delineates each string,
but the point is more about delineating the string that (just)
using the xml:lang attribute.

That is why I think saying "the language...should be indicated
via markup" is misleading, because is the string itself (as
well as its language) that needs to be indicated via markup.

paul

p.s.  I do agree with PaulP too, though, that we need to
be clearer about the actor in this wording.  Are we making
a suggestion to authors or editing tools?  If the latter,
PaulP is right that we aren't being clear enough about what
we expect editor implementors to do here.