Subject: RE: [dita] attribute extensibility - summary

Hi, Bruce:

About Item 2, I hasten to note that the proposal for extension by addition for properties is a potential direction rather than something that's ready for implementation.

For example, we will need to think through the implications of hiding and restoring additions during roundtripping to the general form and back to the specialized form. We will want to think through that problem along with other potential enhancements of the capabilities of specialization.

I'm confident that, given the minds involved in the DITA Technical Committee, we will be able to solve those issues, but even I would agree that they are out of scope for DITA 1.1

My intent with the posting was to suggest in a more concrete way that we can build on attribute specialization to much greater capability later on -- not to add more to the DITA 1.1 plate. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Thanks,

Erik Hennum
ehennum@us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for "Esrig, Bruce (Bruce)" <esrig@lucent.com>"Esrig, Bruce (Bruce)" <esrig@lucent.com>

          "Esrig, Bruce (Bruce)" <esrig@lucent.com>

          04/27/2006 11:18 AM

"'Paul Prescod'" <paul.prescod@xmetal.com>, Dana Spradley <dana.spradley@oracle.com>, Michael Priestley <mpriestl@ca.ibm.com>

cc

dita@lists.oasis-open.org

Subject

RE: [dita] attribute extensibility - summary

I thought that was the strength of it ... no action items!

I thought I was clearing away side issues, leaving the following:
Item 1. Michael's proposal
Item 2. An alternate proposal, yet to be named (see next paragraph)

Item 2. Now that Dana Spradley has extracted the attribute extension thoughts from Erik's "Extreme" paper, we seem to have two viable approaches on the table.

I had not realized that specialization of an element could both
- restrict the content
- add attributes

So we'll need to look at that.

Bruce