Subject: Re: [dita] transitional text and conref with delta

Transitional text, by definition, could not function as a standalone
topic. If you incorporate the transitional text into a topic itself,
then you are locking that topic in to a particular context. It is no
longer an independent topic. The reason transitional text is needed at
all, is to provide some semblance of flow between two standalone topics.
Otherwise, the readability is a bit choppy to abruptly move to a new
standalone topic in a book.

I realize that you want to move authors into a new paradigm of topic
based authoring, but I think it a bit idealistic and impractical when it
comes to initial migrations of content. IMO, a company is not going to
want to eat all the expense of re-writing all of their existing content
into standalone topics before they can start using the standard! I think
you have to allow that group of documentation to produce exactly the
deliverables they have now, and then gradually re-write according to
topic-based best practice with following releases.

I think you need this transitional text in the book map, where the
transitions depend on how the topics are arranged and ordered. I don't
think you want to add transitional text to the actual topic, because it
would only be valid for a specific assembly of the topics. That
transition may not be valid in a different book map!

I'll try to dig up some examples of the transitional text to illustrate.

Best regards,

--Scott

--
begin:vcard