Subject: RE: [dita] indexing question

The question raised in the Translation SC concerns the different
requirements for handling indexterms in the prolog and indexterms in
text using CAT software. Bruce Esrig's note defined the differences and
asked us to consider using different element names for the different
locations. Please refer to the clarification that Rodolfo Raya sent
about the difference between a "breaking" element and an inline element
for the discussion of this issue.
JoAnn

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services, Inc.
710 Kipling Street, Suite 400
Denver, CO 80215
303-232-7586
joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com
joannhackos Skype
www.comtech-serv.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Wong [mailto:cwong@idiominc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 8:19 AM
To: Grosso, Paul; dita@lists.oasis-open.org

My proposal is the clarification that index ranges have no meaning
within a topic prolog and should be ignored. Indexterms in a topic
prolog basically point to the topic itself. That answers 1 and 2.

3 and 4 concern where we can put indexterms and do not pertain to index
ranges: they are outside the scope of existing indexing proposals. I
have no plans to submit a new proposal for this, but anyone else is
welcome to do so.

5 and 6: an index range is just a range: any content between two index
range markers constitute the index range. An index range starts where it
starts and ends where it ends. That includes figures, part or whole
paragraphs ... anything. That is the point of the index range marker,
that it can express index ranges in a manner orthogonal of the XML
structure. I don't see the ambiguity: why should anything NOT be in an
index range if so delineated?

7: I'd answer "yes": that seems the obvious interpretation. An index
range starts where it starts, and ends where it ends.

Chris