Subject: RE: [dita] some index-range-* issues

Dana,

You’re echoing my thoughts, reflected in this earlier memo.

Perhaps the additional confusion here is moving across topics. It would seem better to avoid cross-topic indexing ranges completely. Would that still be an option?

I think the current state of the proposals in both cases tries  to accommodate poor indexing practices that ignore the usability of an index for actual readers. The simplest method is to give the page number only for the first page of a longer item, letting the reader decide when he has had enough. Some indexers use ff (folios or numbers of pages)to indicate a longer discussion, beginning on a page, such as 356ff with the ff in italic. There is something problematic, it seems, to have page ranges that span topics, given our case for the standalone nature of a topic.

Anyway -- just a few thoughts on the philosophy behind the technical debate.

JoAnn

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services, Inc.