Subject: Reapproving approved proposals

This is more of a procedural question here, touched off by our reopening the indexterm debate. Months ago, we spent weeks debating, compromising and writing up proposals, DTDs and language reference material for indexing enhancements. We voted twice to approve this. But now the whole thing is reopened for debate and it looks like everything is up for grabs again.

What does it mean to approve something, if it can come apart at any time?

Chris