OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 5 September 2006

Best Regards,

Gershon L Joseph
Member, OASIS DITA and DocBook Technical Committees
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.
office: +972-8-974-1569
mobile: +972-57-314-1170
DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 5 September 2006

(Recorded by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>)

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 5 September 2006 at 08:00am PT
for 45 minutes.

1.  Roll call 

    We have quorum.

2.  Approve minutes from previous meeting.
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200608/msg00133.html (22 August)

    Accepted by acclamation (moved by Don, seconded by Michael)

    * Note: Last week's meeting did not have quorum, therefore was not a regular
        business meeting. Minutes for the discussion are at:

3.  Business:

    1.  ITEM: vote on updated indexing proposal (Michael Priestley)
        * http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/Indexing_issue_summary (proposal)

        Michael moves to accept the amendment (section "Proposal for index 
        ranges as of 2006/09/05" in the above document. Paul G seconds.

        Text copied here so it's recorded:

        Index entries are interpreted as point references. The index contains 
        a reference to the point where the index entry is declared. If an 
        index entry occurs in a topic prolog, the reference is to the start of 
        the title of the topic. 

        Index ranges are structural. Most index range declarations refer to an 
        entire topic or set of topics. The only exception is a range contained 
        entirely within the body of a topic. The start of a range is indicated 
        with an indexterm with a start attribute. The end of a range is 
        indicated with an indexterm with an end attribute with a matching value,
        and with no content of its own. 

        Index range indications may occur in the topicmeta of a topicref at 
        the map level, in the prolog of a topic, or in the body of a topic, 
        and are interpreted as follows: 

        *   In a map, the start range points to the topic title of the topic 
            being referenced by its containing topicref. The end range points 
            to the end of the final child contained by the topic being 
            referenced by its containing topicref. When a start and end range 
            occur in the same topicmeta, the range applies to the containing 
            topicref and its children. 

        *   In a prolog, the start range points to the containing topic's title. 
            The range ends with a matching index range end in the same prolog, 
            or the end of the prolog, whichever comes first. The range applies 
            to the containing topic and all its children, including child 
            relationships defined in a map. 

        *   In a body, the start range points to whichever point the indexterm 
            occurs. The index range ends at a matching index range end 
            indication within the same body, or at the end of the body, 
            whichever comes first. Such an index range does not span 
            sub-topics of the topic. 

        When index ranges with the same identifier overlap (for example, a 
        body-level range for "pecorino" occurs within a map-level cross-topic 
        range for "pecorino") the widest range applies, and end ranges are 
        matched with start ranges by last-in-first-out. In other words, the 
        ranges are interpreted as nested rather than overlapping, with the 
        highest-level container taking precedence over narrower contained 

        The start and end attributes are defined as CDATA, and should contain 
        matching strings. The strings should not contain blank spaces. The 
        start and end attributes should be considered valid only on indexterm 
        elements that have no child indexterm elements. 

    2.  ITEM: Request for SC approval: DITA for machine industry (Chris Kravogel)
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200608/msg00141.html (materials for approval)

        Chris presented the purpose of the SC.


        Don moves to accept the proposal for a machine industry sub-committee
        based on the materials Chris provided. Michael seconds. No objections.

        DECISION to form Machine industry subcommittee.

    3.  ITEM: TC response to new OASIS discussion List, Unstructured Operation 
        * email to Members by Jamie Bryce Clark, 8/11/2006
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/members/200608/msg00003.html

        ACTION: Don to respond to Jamie stating we have no objections to this 
        new committee.

    4.  ITEM: Translation SC: Indexing best practices
        * http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita-translation/download.php/19985/Best%20Practice%20for%20Indexing%20DITA%20topics.doc

        CONTINUED. Discussion deferred to next week.

        ACTION: Gershon to discuss Paul G's feedback at next week's Translation
        SC meeting.

    5.  Request: Need a volunteer interested in a visible accomplishment to 
        help come up with DITA processing that imitates the style of the OASIS 
        templates at http://docs.oasis-open.org/templates/.

        Anyone who can help on this task please contact Gershon directly.

4.  Announcements/Opens

    Chris K asked when we expect to have DITA 1.1 approved. Currently looks
    like it'll be pushed out into early 2007. Our official position is for 
    release in Q1 2007.
    Discussed update of drafts with index and other updates.

-- Meeting adjourned at 08:45 --

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]