Subject: Status of Nested Sections Issue

In some work we (Innodata Isogen) is doing, we're finding the lack of
nestable sections to be a very serious impediment to using DITA
effectively for marking up legacy documents as-is (that is, without
re-authoring the content to account for poor writing practice in the
original).

I reviewed the list to see what the disposition of this issue is. I saw
several proposals but no disposition.

To mind the obvious and simplest thing to do is to allow sections to
nest in 1.1.

What do I need to do to formally submit this as a proposal for a vote?

The particular use case in this instance is a semiconductor data sheet,
where the entire sheet is clearly one topic but no subsection of the
sheet can be considered a topic in any rhetorical sense because, by
definition, the information in each subsection only applies to the
specific component. It would be prima-facie nonsense to make, for
example, the "Min/Max" section of the data sheet a separate topic
because that is information that would never be useful either for re-use
or as a topic included in some other package not associated with the
overall component. Even more so for any subdivisions within the major
sections of the data sheet.

And of course the use case for fairly typical technical manuals seems
obvious to me as well but that certainly wasn't in evidence in the
message history.

In essence the notion that information that is not rhetorically a topic
should be marked as a topic just seems so fundamentally wrong to me, as
a technical writer and as a XML practitioner, that I marvel that anyone
involved with DITA would even suggest it. As Paul Prescode pointed out,
to mark things up as topics that are not topics is to erode the whole
value of topics as a concept.

W. Eliot Kimber
Professional Services
Innodata Isogen