Subject: Re: Fw: WG: [dita] Status of Nested Sections Issue

Don Day wrote:
> [...]

I don't see that it makes that much difference whether you allow section
to nest or add a new element type that is equivalent to section but that
can nest.

In either case specializers can impose whatever local constraints they
want, either disallowing nesting or creating a limited nesting level (by
having unique specializations at each level) or by defining more
semantic section types.

The question of what authors will do with the ability to nest and having
two different ways to do things has always been a problem and will
always be a problem. That's because it's an *editorial* problem, not a
technology problem. Even if you disallow it (as the current DITA
specification does) authors will just do something different if they
have to.

That is, there is and can be no substitute for well-trained writers,
appropriate editorial oversight, and clearly-defined editorial policies.

In addition, no matter what the DITA schemas say (or what any other
schema designed for document authoring says), you *ALWAYS* need some
sort of "validation application" that validates rules that cannot be
expressed in a DTD or schema. This is either a separate application or a
side effect of the error checking or failure behavior your processors
provide. In either case, since you have to do this checking you can
always add checks for editorial rules for things like section nesting, a
requirement that there be at least two subsections under a section, that
sort of thing.

In 1.1 I think that simply allowing section elements to nest is the
simplest solution that meets the requirement, requiring no additional
design, no additional element types, or anything.

Adding a new element type would involve more changes to the
specification and open up more debate about exactly what the rules for
that new elemen type should be. That level of design does need to be
pushed off to a later version.

Cheers,

Eliot

--