Subject: RE: [dita] bookmap specialization question

Hi, Amber:

In the preface case, the bookmap is assigning a role to a topic. Without knowing the topic's role, a process can't apply special treatment to the preface topic. Examples of that special treatment might be as trivial as outputting a "Preface" label on the page or as sophisticated as applying special weight to high-frequency words from the preface when generating a fulltext search index for a book.

For the cover of the book, bookmap certainly needs to capture all of the information that should appear on the cover. After that, however, the layout of the cover is up to the process (as part of the separation of presentation and content).

Hoping that clarifies,

Erik Hennum
ehennum@us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for "Amber Swope" <amber.swope@xmetal.com>"Amber Swope" <amber.swope@xmetal.com>

          "Amber Swope" <amber.swope@xmetal.com>

          11/17/2006 11:43 AM

Erik Hennum/Oakland/IBM@IBMUS

cc

<dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

Subject

RE: [dita] bookmap specialization question

Thanks, Erik.

I guess I don’t understand that difference between specifying an element for generating a cover or preface v. a preface, which the bookmap specification does provide.

Thanks, A