Subject: RE: [dita] Promoting DITA at OASIS Symposium

Carol,
I hope that the deadline has been extended. Let me know the new dates.
I'm hoping to get the proposals completed this week.
JoAnn

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services, Inc.
710 Kipling Street, Suite 400
Denver, CO 80215
303-232-7586
joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com
joannhackos Skype
www.comtech-serv.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Carol Geyer [mailto:carol.geyer@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 8:46 AM
To: dita@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: 'Jane Harnad'
Subject: [dita] Promoting DITA at OASIS Symposium

OASIS DITA TC members:

As you may be aware, the OASIS Symposium, our largest annual meeting,
will be
held in San Diego, April 15-18. The overall theme of the main program is
"eBusiness and Open Standards: Understanding the Fact, Fiction, and
Future." In
addition to the main, two-day program (which will have business and
technical
tracks), there will be a day of tutorials and three days for TC meetings
and
other activities.

We think the Symposium would be a great opportunity to promote DITA. It
seems
like a long way off, but now is the time to start making plans so we can
reserve the necessary meeting space and have time to promote our
activities. A
few options we may want to consider:

1. submit abstracts on DITA for the main program; the deadline is 15
December.

2. offer a full-day (or half-day) DITA tutorial before the Symposium.

3. host a one to two-day DITA workshop after the Symposium (this would
overlap
TC meetings, but many prospective attendees won't be participating in TC
meetings, so that might not be a problem).

4. host a BoF during the Symposium (a special table or separate area
during
lunch or an evening session)

5. reserve a special area for table top displays from DITA companies

6. offer a short DITA webinar before the event to encourage attendance

7. schedule OASIS DITA TC and/or subcommittee meetings following the
Symposium

8. support local DITA user groups in some way--a roundtable where UG
representatives share information of what they're doing, a meeting of
the
Silicon Valley UG (if they'd travel to San Diego)...

9. pass out DITA XML.org calling cards or magnets

We can discuss these options in more detail on today's call.

Thanks,
Carol

Carol Geyer
Director of Communications