Subject: RE: [dita] What Is A Topic

I agree with Paul generally, although I also think that legacy docs can be migrated into DITA using nested topics, although at the cost of best practices. IE, you can't make legacy docs topic-oriented automatically, but you can typically fit them into a topic-oriented doctype if you want to migrate first and rewrite later.

On the issue of title-only topics in particular I wanted to add a few things:

- a small topic may legitimately need only a title and short description - our own glossentry specialization comes to mind. Some forms of context-sensitive help are also likely to be very short, and with the addition of abstract, easily accomodated without the <body> element.

- a topic may start small and grow over time into a whole branch of topics. The container topic may be no more than a title and child links (or just a title, with child links managed via a map). But the container topic is still important as a link destination, because it still answers the question it originally answered when it was just a leaf-node topic.  People who link to the topic shouldn't be forced to recode or break their links just because the topic has changed from leaf node to container node. In terms of its subject, it's still the same topic.

- this is the point at which "makes sense on its own" becomes clearly exposed as more of a guideline than an absolute requirement. Just as you might want to bend that rule to fit legacy docs, you might also want to bend it for container topics (sometimes they have enough content to stand on their own, sometimes they're the container for generated summaries of other content, sometimes they're just a navigation hub to other resources). The important thing is that the topic title is still an accurate reflection of the destination.

I'd support adding some softening words to the topic-oriented section if that would resolve the current conflict.

Current wording:

A topic is a unit of information with a title and content, short enough to be specific to a single subject or answer a single question, but long enough to make sense on its own and be authored as a unit.

Proposed softening:

A topic is a unit of information typically consisting of a title and content, short enough to be specific to a single subject or answer a single question, but long enough to make sense and be authored as a unit, often on its own.

We might also consider adding a specific section on container topics and small topics - we could call it "limits of topic orientation", equivalent to the "limits of specialization" topic later in the spec. That would give us a place to talk about some of the edge cases in detail without overly weakening the main points of the section on topic orientation.

Michael Priestley
IBM DITA Architect and Classification Schema PDT Lead
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25