Subject: RE: [dita] What Is A Topic

Dana et al.,
I would fully support deprecating nested topics. I believe they cause more problems than they provide advantages. They were apparently included originally to accommodate legacy documentation. However, I continue to advise people to use maps and nesting in maps to accomplish the same thing--to show some hierarchical relationship between topics if that is needed for readers.

When Ginny Redish and I helped Hewlett-Packard develop their worldwide Editoral Design System in 1991, we recommended a flat structure for user documents. Usability studies told us that elaborate hierarchies of topics are essentially lost on users of technical documents. Most readers do not distinguish more than three levels of heading at all.

People do not use technical documentation in a way implied by hierarchical nesting. They look for the topic they need know and do not consider the arrangement.

Elaborate nesting is a leftover from military manuals and legal documents that use numbered sections ad infinitum. Even in this context, it's not clear what the hierarchies accomplish except to confuse readers.

Let's define topics as standalone as we have and consisting of a minimum content with title and at least one paragraph of text -- that should be sufficient. I wonder what others consider a precise definition.

JoAnn

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services, Inc.