Subject: RE: [dita] DITA 1.1 DTD error

fwiw, I've already decided to implement my suggestion #3
in Arbortext's imminent patch release (a one line addition
to the DTD) as far as the DTD is concerned.

I also note that it's pretty trivial using a wide variety
of tools to look for (using XPath notation just for
convenience) object[not(@longdescref)]/@longdescre and
set that object element's @longdescref attribute to the
value had by that object element's @longdescre attribute.

As far as deprecating longdescre, I'd like to retract what
I said in my earlier suggestion.  (In fact, even when I
wrote it, I didn't mean literal "deprecation", but upon
rereading my comment, it does sound like I did.)

Since no version of spec itself refers to the longdescre
attribute, I see no reason to add text to the spec saying
that such an attribute is deprecated.  In fact, no such
attribute ever existed as far as the spec was concerned.
The "existence" of this attribute is really just an artifact
of a typo in one file of the distribution, but this attribute
in the true sense never existed as part of DITA 1.0 or 1.1,
and I have no desire to add a mention of it in the DITA 1.1
spec.

Instead, we can put comments in the DTD explaining things,
and we can put a note somewhere in the distribution in some
README or Release Notes sort of file, but I would argue that
we shouldn't confuse the issue (which, I suspect, is probably
a non-issue for 99.9% of all DITA users) by mentioning this
in the DITA 1.1 spec (and then having to say in the 2.0 spec
that the deprecated longdescre attribute has been removed).

paul