OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 23 January 2007


Gershon L Joseph
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.

Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Secretary, OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee
Member, OASIS DocBook Technical Committee

office: +972-8-974-1569
mobile: +972-57-314-1170
web:    http://www.tech-tav.com
DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 23 January 2007

(Recorded by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>)

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 23 January 2007 at 08:00am PT
for 60 minutes.

1.  Roll call
    We have quorum.

2.  Approve minutes from previous business meeting: 
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200701/msg00058.html (16 Jan 2007)
    Accepted (Don moved, Gershon seconded, no objections)

3.  Business: 

    3.1 ITEM: Ongoing review of 1.1 drafts

        * Architectural Spec: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200701/msg00039.html

            No general comments beyond what was sent to list.

        * Language Spec: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200701/msg00048.html 

            Don suggested generating an alphabetical list of elements.
            Robert is working on it.

            Don: Deborah Pickett found that figgroup content model is limiting.
            How do we want to respond?

            The TC discussed and this issue will be added to the 1.2 list, since we're
            so far ahead on 1.1 already.

            ACTION: Michael to respond to Deborah explaining the TC decision.

        * Fix List: http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/Fix_list_for_1.1_Language_Spec_draft
        * DTD: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200701/msg00049.html 
        * XSD: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200701/msg00070.html (new)

    2.  Paul Grosso's discussion issues:
        * Arch Spec comments http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200701/msg00079.html

        * chunking

            Paul: One of our big concerns is default listed as trying to match 
            input file structure with output file structure. While the toolkit 
            does it this way, it's a bad idea because the author needs to know 
            about the chunking. Chunking should rather be based on various 
            kinds of context and parameters where implementation knows how to 
            do it the right way for each output. We don't want to see the 
            default doing that, the default should rather do the "right thing" 
            which is the best thing for the user.

            Michael: Depends on writer background. For me, it was natural to 
            think of it as the same chunking, since I'm used to writing HTML. 
            I understand where you're coming from and I've worked with systems 
            that make the chunking for me, though such systems never did the 
            chunking I expected.

            Paul: Most committee members are not your average user. Most users 
            want to pull stuff out of a CMS and have the system chunk it.

            Paul: I'm just saying I don't think the current behavior should be 
            the default. It can be one of the possible behaviors though.

            Michael: We could put an attribute on the map that determines 
            chunking behavior. We don't want to force toolkit users to have to 
            now add @chunk="file" to get the current toolkit behavior, since
            that would be backwards incompatible. I'd like to say both 
            approaches are valid, use a base setting on the map.

            Paul: As long as the default is implementation specific.

            Michael: I'd like to say the default is implementation specific and 
            process specific, and the default can also be set on the map. I 
            don't want users to have to manually add the chunk attribute.

            Discussion on whether we should address the chunk attribute in 1.1 
            or push it off...
            Michael: Let's give one more week on the chunk attribute on the list 
            and dedicated conf calls.

            Don: Reissue the spec after we get input from the @chunk task force.

            Michael offered to take the task force and will arrange a meeting this week.

        * ditaval

            Paul: I think the TC already discussed ditaval. Even though Jeff has concerns,
            the TC process made a decision and can ignore the ditaval comments.

            DECISION: Michael moved to add an acknowledgement to Jeff Ogden and Robert Anderson
            for their efforts and contribution to the 1.1 spec. JoAnn seconded. No objections. 

    3.  Eliot Kimber's discussion items:

        * attribute specialization:
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200701/msg00075.html and following

            Eliot: it's not clear on how to specialize from base.

            Michael: It is documented. Need to create one attribute per domain. 
            The syntax is documented.

            Eliot: I'll look at it again.

            Discussion on specializing and generalizing attributes...

        * topic nesting and ditabase: 
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200701/msg00084.html
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200701/msg00085.html

            Eliot: In some contexts the spec says you can't nest, while in 
            other contexts the spec says one can nest. Why do we need two 
            different rules for topic nesting?

            Michael: To support the need for hybrid documents. Ditabase handles that.
            Pure info type documents should not allow other info types -- that's 
            why they don't. The spec is illustrating that there are two approaches.

            Eliot: The normative spec should not ship with both approaches.

            Don requested to move this discussion to the list.

--out of time--

        * glossaries and glossary linking: 
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200701/msg00083.html
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200701/msg00086.html

    4.  ITEM: Review schedule for CD vote (initiate the 1.1 review process)
        * action to revisit

    5.  ITEM: SC updates

4.  Announcements/Opens 

-- Meeting adjourned at 09:00 --

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]