Subject: Re: [dita] Bookmap implementation

I'm not disagreeing that this is an issue, but...

The extra layer has poor fallback behaviour when the bookmap is processed as a regular map (e.g., when being published to HTML Help or something else that isn't bookish).  The standard would have to be more explicit about how a topicgroup gets rendered when it is in the ToC (see http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dita-users/message/3312 for one discussion about this).

(Can you specialize a domain element like topicgroup into a structural element like chapter?  I thought that you can't.  But topicgroup is pretty basic so it could be faked by just leaving off the href, which is all a topicgroup really is.)

Would it be possible to permit both forms of markup that France quoted?  The presence or absence of an href attribute could indicate which was intended.  Critically, then DITA 1.1 wouldn't be delayed.  On the other hand, there are still mapref issues with the proposed markup, and I promised I wouldn't bring those up until post-1.1.

--
Deborah Pickett
Deborah_Pickett@moldflow.com

"France Baril" <France.Baril@ixiasoft.com>

2007-02-10 08.59

<dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
[dita] Bookmap implementation

Hi, I had looked at the bookmap implementation earlier and had found it pretty nice, but lately I started looking at it from an implementation point of view.

Bang, I was slapped in the face. I know it's late in the process, but I thought I should say something anyway.

In order to allow embedding maps in maps and to ease manipulation of a single map. I would suggest that we drop the structure:

Bookmap
  preface
  chapter
  chapter
  chapter
  appendice
  appendice

And get something that is more like:

Bookmap
  Preface
  Chapters (specialized from topicgroup?)
     topicref
          topicref
     topicref
     topicref
  Appendices (specialized from topicgroup?)
     topicref
     topicref

With the current structure, if I want to add a level around the first 10 chapters, I have to change the element name for all 10 topicrefs that were previously identified as chapters. Moreover, it becomes hard to implement maps in maps because you get multiple chapter levels.

France, who just woke up...

P.S. Feel free to slap me in the face again for bringing this up now!!!!