Subject: RE: [dita] DITA 1.2 suggestion--add a class attribute to the dita element

At one level you're probably right.

But I think it can quickly get quite confusing if we have multiple
DTDs that are all called ditabase and all use the same <dita> root tag.

Or said the other way around, if we allow different ditabases to conform

to different rules, things can get quite confusing.  Making the
specialization
explicit will make it clearer what is going on or at least encourage
people
to keep their specializations distinct from the standard.

And all DITA documents will have a root tag with both a DITArchVersion
and a class attribute which will make it easier to know that they are
DITA documents and what kind they are (map vs. topic). Today ditabases
are something of an exception in that we have to look at one of the
child
elements to the root tag before we know if it is a DITA document and
what kind.

paul