Subject: content model for <fig>?

I'm trying to determine the customary DITA structure for representing an
image with a following caption. I presume that <fig> would be the
appropriate container, but <fig> includes an optional <title> element
before (not after) <image>.

I suspect this was discussed and decided long ago. Am I missing an
appropriate structure for representing an image followed by a caption?
Was there a rationale for placing the optional <title> at the beginning
of the content model for <fig>? Is there an expectation that the
processor might globally swap the order of <title> and <image> if
appropriate?

-Alan

--
Alan Houser, President