Subject: Chunking attribute on the map element

With respect to http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.1/CD01/archspec/chunking.html

I think there's a clarification to the spec needed. We've got three sets of values:

- byxxx (consider making it by-xxx for consistency?) sets policies, which are inherited if set on the map element
- select-xxx only apply when set on a topicref that targets a nested topic within a larger document, and is ignored otherwise, so it would be ignored on the map element
- to-xxx defines an output chunk for the element plus all its children, but we don't say what happens when it's set on the map element (the "creating a default for all elements within the map" probably shouldn't apply - it would create a nasty mess).

So I propose making the behavior on the map element explicit:

chunk= on the map element
  bytopic - sets a default
  bydocument - sets a default
  select-topic - ignored
  select-document - ignored
  select-branch - ignored
  to-content - creates a content chunk out of the entire map
  to-navigation - creates a navigation chunk out of the entire map

Michael Priestley
IBM DITA Architect and Classification Schema PDT Lead
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25