Subject: RE: [dita] 12005 supports 12052--adding DITAArchVersion to the dita element

Throwing in my own couple of cents on these issues -

I know that there are points in DITA processing when I have to know about
the <dita> element. This happens any time I must check one specific item in
a file. For example, using () to shorten the class attribute syntax, I have
to look up domains with either /(topic)/@domains or
/dita/(topic)[1]/@domains. Similarly, to pull a title from a file, I have
to pull from both /(topic)/(title) and /dita/(topic)[1]/(title). I've found
it odd that <dita> is the only element in any of my stylesheets which is
referenced by name, so adding @class does make some sense. I'm really
neutral on whether to add it. However, if we add class, I'd favor making it
FIXED with its own value (something like dita/dita), so that it's clearly
not a topic and not specializable.

On the separate issue of DITAArchVersion - I have no objection to adding
that. If buy Paul's arguments about being able to easily identify the
document from this root element.

Now to toss oil on the fire, I personally think that xml:lang should also
be available on the <dita> element. I have actually heard this request from
users, who think it strange to set xml:lang on each of the topic children
of <dita>. This is a standard XML attribute, so adding it does not make the
element more meaningful within the DITA architecture. However, given that
this is such a minor issue, if there are objections I will not pursue it.
Note that the same arguments could be made for xml:base if that proposal is
accepted and completed for DITA 1.2.

In my view, these attributes do not do anything more than indicate that
"This is a DITA element" or "This is XML". So, I do not think there are any
concerns with being on a slippery slope. We only step on that slope if we
add meaningful DITA-specific attributes such as @platform or @props. I have
not heard anybody seriously suggest adding these.

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit
(507) 253-8787, T/L 553-8787

             "Yas Etessam"
             <yas.etessam@xmet
             al.com>                                                    To
                                       "Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com>,
             04/17/2007 12:04          <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [dita] 12005 supports
                                       12052--adding DITAArchVersion to
                                       the dita element

Hi Paul,

Your observations are correct.   XML editors currently need to use a
combination of topic-level atts and the <dita> element to identify DITA
documents.

Adding DITAArchVersion to the <dita> element would slightly simplify the
process of identifying DITA documents.  Although, there are clearly
already workarounds to this issue if you check the topic-level atts.

During our original pass on the feature set, we supported 12052 as a
simple change.  We will continue to support it.   I don't see how if
will have any major architectural effects (like the 12051 proposal).

Yas