Subject: RE: [dita] Request for clarification of DITA Technical Committee MeetingMinutes: 17 April 2007

I think the spec is actually clear on this:

>The collection-type attribute indicates how a particular set of sibling topicrefs
>relate to each other. The collection-type attribute is set on the container
>element for the sibling topicrefs. The collection-type value can indicate whether
>to generate links among the siblings, and what kind of links to generate (for
>example, next and previous links for a sequence, or sibling links for a family).
>The collection-type attribute can also indicate how the parent topic should link
>to its children (for example, showing the child links as a numbered list when
>the collection-type is sequence).

When collection-type is set on a relcell that contains topicrefs, it should behave according to the spec - ie, in the same way it would if the topicrefs were in a collection defined by any other container element. There is no parent topic, but there is no parent topic in a topicgroup either.

The reason relcolspec and reltable elements get problematic is just that they cannot contain topicrefs (at least not directly). So according to the spec, collection-type on those elements should do nothing, which is what they do - but given that the attribute is there, we probably want it to do something at some point, so we want to reserve it for future use.

Michael Priestley
IBM DITA Architect and Classification Schema PDT Lead
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

"Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com>

04/30/2007 06:17 PM

"DITA TC list" <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
RE: [dita] Request for clarification of DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 17 April 2007

I don't have a record of a response to this.

Don, please put this in the agenda for our upcoming meeting.

paul