Subject: Re: [dita] Version numbers for public IDs for non-shell DTD components

When we added the version specific IDs initially, it was only done for the
DTD files. The thought was that a tool could use a catalog to load the DTD
itself, but then use the relative path inside the DTD to load each module.
So, once dtd_1.1/topic.dtd is loaded, you can load topic.mod from the same
folder. This would require trimming down the catalog, as well as a tool
that can load files based on the relative path.

Others have had problems with this as well, and this is expected to change
for DITA 1.2 - the DTD itself will use version specific IDs for each
module, and the catalog will contain IDs for each version.

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit
(507) 253-8787, T/L 553-8787

             "Chris Wong"
             <cwong@idiominc.c
                                       <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
             05/30/2007 08:02                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       [dita] Version numbers for public
                                       IDs for non-shell DTD components

I'm sure we must have covered this before, but I just reviewed the
catalog.xml in the DITA 1.1 draft and and was surprised to find that many
public IDs don't have the version number embedded in it. This is a problem
for any implementation that needs to support different DITA versions. The
catalog approach would have addressed this elegantly. For example, the
entries for the shell DTDs direct the parser to the appropriate DTD version
based on the public ID in the DOCTYPE declaration:

    <public publicId="-//OASIS//DTD DITA 1.1 Topic//EN"
uri="dtd_1.1/topic.dtd"/>
    <public publicId="-//OASIS//DTD DITA 1.0 Topic//EN"
uri="dtd_1.0/topic.dtd"/>

But the shell DTDs in turn load their *.ent and *.mod components, and those
have unversioned public IDs:

    <public publicId="-//OASIS//ELEMENTS DITA Topic//EN"
uri="dtd_1.1/topic.mod"/>
So a document with a DOCTYPE pointing to DITA 1.0's topic.dtd would load
dtd_1.0/topic.dtd, but will load topic.mod from dtd_1.1/, simply because
topic.dtd does not ask for a specific version of topic.mod and gets
whatever the catalog provides. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Chris